SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to replace a couple of U-joints on my '64 Amazon. Is the positioning of the grease nipples critical? Are they heavy enough to affect the balance of the driveshaft? Should the two on the rear section of the driveshaft point 180 degrees away from each other, as they currently do?

Also, the middle U-joint was last installed (by me, I believe...) so you can't get a grease gun on the grease nipple; the space between the trunions is too tight. Moving the U-joint 90 degrees will solve the problem. Has anyone else seen this situation? It doesn't seem to be an issue on the other U-joints.

Thanks, as always for any advice. I've owned and worked on Amazons for 52 years, and am still learning!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Ron. I'll be sure to align the yokes as you recommend (also as shown in the Volvo factory manual). The troublesome grease fitting was facing away from the flat flange, toward the driveshaft; I think the problem may be in the original casting of the yoke. It's easily fixed by putting the grease nipple in a different location. Time to get this car back on the road!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts