SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I go about replacing the frail plastic trim clips that hold the trim to my doors. I picked up a "new" full set at a junk yard, but need to replace about 6-8 clips so that all the pieces stay flush, but I cannot see how they come out or go back in.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Replacing trim peice clips (MenardVolvo)

What year was the "donor" car?<p>Consider purchasing a full bag of new clips from a Volvo dealer as the salvage pieces will be brittle and distorted (compared to new clips) and the trim pieces may not fit flush and aligned using the "junk" clips.<p>For many detailed instructions concerning 240 door side trim installation sign up here and go a-searchin'...<p><A HREF="http://www.brickboard.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.brickboard.com</A>/<p>George Dill

·
Registered
708 Posts
Re: Replacing trim peice clips (gdill2)

Got the clips almost a month ago, but finally have the time to actually work on the trim. Went to that sight you linked to George, but couldn't find the part about the trim. I would assume that the clips just slide or clip in somewhere, but the entire trim piece seems like a closed system and I have to somehow cut into it to get the clips in. Hope this isn't the case.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Replacing trim peice clips (swimmer240)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>swimmer240</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Got the clips almost a month ago, but finally have the time to actually work on the trim. Went to that sight you linked to George, but couldn't find the part about the trim. I would assume that the clips just slide or clip in somewhere, but the entire trim piece seems like a closed system and I have to somehow cut into it to get the clips in. Hope this isn't the case.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Please don't cut anything - yet.<p>If possible post pics of the new clips and trim.<p>George Dill

·
Registered
708 Posts

I don't own a digital camera. Might see if I can borrow a buddies but that won't be till this weekend.

·
Registered
371 Posts

I don't know what year or model the Volvo in question is, but on my 84 there little ends that are just a friction fit on the trim pieces that seal them off from water, etc. They just press into the trim, but lose their fit after the first factory use. In order to keep them tight, I just coated mine with Permatex Blue and re-pressed them into the lengths of the trim. In order to remove them properly, you have to remove the end that's near the front edge of the door (In the case of the door trim) and slide the trim off the door back to the rear of the car. Don't try using a mallet or your hand to try to bang the trim back over the clips. If you will notice, the clips are made to slide inside of the trim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts