SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I know on the top one (similar to what I have in my MY13), you push the selector left if you want to 'manually' shift while in the bottom picture, it looks like it would push to the right to shift. I would take a guess that it would have a different alignment in how the shifter aligns with the transmission.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
So it turns out the entire shifter module has to be replaced. Total cost ~US$800.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So it turns out the entire shifter module has to be replaced. Total cost ~US$800.
Do you have a part list or is it obvious to find the right parts?
Is there any functionality missing if I put it in a 2009?
How is the feeling of the knob? Is it robust?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Is manual mode now to the left or still to the right?

/Martin

·
Registered
332 Posts
I know the 13 shift knobs "shift" to the left in "M" mode.... which is much intuitive then shifting to the right... I am used to drive stick shift so when I wanted to shift gear I constantly find myself pulling the knob to the left to get into gear.... well I did some research and found this "electronic unit" however still need the rest of the part numbers.

-[•_•]-

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi inft420, when you took out the previous shift module, are you able to confirm if it is possible to reverse the manual shift part cause I find that going up in gears is more natural to me by pushing down... like how to ascend a plan you pull the stick back.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Is manual mode now to the left or still to the right?

/Martin
Left now, which is much better and natural for left-hand drive cars.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Left now, which is much better and natural for left-hand drive cars.
So that is changed by just replacing the knob? I know it is on all MY13's but does this mod change it on older MY's?

Now all they need to change is that + is backwards and - is forward, then all is as it should.

/Martin

·
Registered
304 Posts
Changed my shifter knob.

·
Registered
332 Posts
show off

-[•_•]-

·
Registered
304 Posts
show off

-[•_•]-
You too can sacrifice safety for looks... (it doesnt have a button so you can actually slide from drive into neutral (normal) and then right past it to reverse :eek:)

Its less of an issue to me as I always apply the brake before changing gears and most times I'm in manual.

It could surely be bumped by accident.

It does still lock in park until the brake releases it. Its only been a few days, we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I remember I read from somewhere that the HEICO shift knob use "pull up" as release for selecting gear. I do provide gear locking function.
This is a different one than mine, but I'll see if mine can do the same.

·
3,391 Posts
This is a mod I REALLY want to do. So, I just need the shifter assembly and everything bolts in and works? Do I need a software download or anything?

·
3,391 Posts
This is a mod I REALLY want to do. So, I just need the shifter assembly and everything bolts in and works? Do I need a software download or anything?
Just a bump in hopes that the OP will see this and respond to my question. I've been getting really antsy to order these parts. I'm sure others around here would like a parts list of what you ordered to make this work. Please don't leave us hanging! :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
You too can sacrifice safety for looks... (it doesnt have a button so you can actually slide from drive into neutral (normal) and then right past it to reverse :eek:)

Its less of an issue to me as I always apply the brake before changing gears and most times I'm in manual.

It could surely be bumped by accident.

It does still lock in park until the brake releases it. Its only been a few days, we'll see how it goes.

Fixed it... This one uses a PUSH DOWN approach...

I like the MY 13 one, but I think the parts are too expensive for the thrill you get.

·
3,391 Posts
I'm bumping this again because I am still really wanting to do this mod. I just would like to get ahold of the parts list. I'm hoping the OP will eventually come back.

·
3,391 Posts
I was finally able to locate an entire "used" shifter assembly of a 2013 model. It's from one of the Volvos that was flooded at the entry port in New Jersey, so it's an essentially brand new part. I know that a lot of these cars have been restored to driving condition rather easily, so I suspect that it should still work fine. It was cheap enough if it doesnt, anyway. I will post all of the information on the swap including instructions and part numbers once I receive the shifter.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts