SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Looking for some guidance on angle gear replacement.

I have 2 used units. The first one I got cheap from a junk yard. From a visual standpoint the housing matches the non-operational/toothless unit in my car currently, however the spline teeth on it are damaged and I cannot get a new gear collar sleeve on it. I found another one online via Ebay with splines in good shape. Ebay seller (store front Erie Volvo, not independent person) stated it was compatible with my vehicle and the 36000340 PN jives as an equivalent PN on the volvoparts.com website for my vehicle.

HOWEVER the housing is not the same as my current one and on FCP Euro the 36000340 PN is stated as NOT compatible with 2003 XC70s. I don't know how to determine 100% if the nicer unit I got will work with my car before tearing into the car and potentially leaving it not operational if it doesn't. The local Volvo dealer couldn't even tell me for certain, the diagrams and PN lists they gave me were the same as what is on volvoparts.com and the diagrams/drawings don't show any of the features that differ.

My VIN # is YV1SZ59H431105010 , so if anyone can for certain tell me what my original PN is and if the 36000340 part will work I would be eternally grateful. Hoping to get this repair completed before snowfall. The storefront I bought it from ran my vin and told me it was 100% compatible but based on other postings and sites I am seeing some really mixed thoughts on compatibility.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
AW55 are all compatible, besides the flange that mates to the driveshaft. You need to match the flanges visually, yours and their.

I'm getting a rebuilt unit with restored splines, from Europe. The freshest used unit I can get here in US for insane $700+ has 40+k miles. Mine was already stripped one time when I got the car at 79k miles, now it is at 220k and the third collar sleeve just gave up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AW55 are all compatible, besides the flange that mates to the driveshaft. You need to match the flanges visually, yours and their.

I'm getting a rebuilt unit with restored splines, from Europe. The freshest used unit I can get here in US for insane $700+ has 40+k miles. Mine was already stripped one time when I got the car at 79k miles, now it is at 220k and the third collar sleeve just gave up.
Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. All flanges that mate to the driveshaft on both units I have match what is currently on my XC70, same goes for the flange that bolts to the transmission. Really only difference is the nicer unit's housing has some additional ears and tabs that don't look like they would do anything, no tear from being used as mounting points or anything but it was enough to raise question, especially after I checked the PN's with FCP Euro and their site said not compatible.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
To be sure I put your VIN into VIDA and it said 36000340 is the exchange P/N.

FCP is not very good at P/N matching. I've got a few "IT FITS" parts from FCP for 05 XC70 and 16 XC60 that do not fit. Always look in VIDA when purchasing new to you parts.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts

Where did you buy it from? What was the price? Could be good info for people in the future.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
Id believe Erie over FCP any day.

Erie - selling used volvo parts for what 30 / 40 years.

FCP -- sells off brand junk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts