SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time to replace my upper strut bearings and I'm going to have them do the struts while they're in there. What other parts should I order to have replaced while they've got the struts out?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Look at the whole assembly. Mount, bearing, bump stop, coil, strut.

As far as other things, just look at your suspension and replace any worn/torn/warped rubber components. I.e. control arms, tie rods, sway bar links...

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
If you are doing the struts & bearings by all means replace the mount as well. You don't mention mileage but if you are over 100k I'd probably do the bump stops also. Stupid expensive for a piece of foam but if you are paying the labor.... Number for the Sport bump stops is 31360451.

·
Registered
259 Posts
sorry to hijack the thread, but my mechanic wants to change the whole "top mount" when changing the front shocks...the dealer only said "front shock bearings" and "front shock stopper". i am assuming that the "top mount" includes the latter two and then some, am i right? do i need to change the whole strut top mount?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
No. There is a strut mount, the strut bearing, and the bump stop.

Bump stop keeps the strut from bottoming out.

Strut Mount is a metal plate that meets the strut tower's three bolts to secure the strut.

Strut bearing helps the strut articulate around the mount.

It's normally just a metal plate, some go bad, but it's good practice to just do it all. The repair requires removing the strut, which takes some time. So while you're in there refreshing the other components, mine as well replace a cheap component that the other two things touch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts