SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone upgraded the turbo on their s60 T5, because i am interested in doing that with mine. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kinda of turbo, and other mods required with a higher pressure turbo????<BR>~Spencer~<P>

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would recommend a reprogrammed ECU to go with a bigger turbo. To get the most out of a different turbo, new software is a must. Then I'd look at the exhaust.<P>

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup that was the plan... But still any idea on what kind of turbo i would be able to upgrade too??????? <BR>~Spencer~<BR>

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gotballs:<BR><B>Yup that was the plan... But still any idea on what kind of turbo i would be able to upgrade too??????? <BR>~Spencer~</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The standard TD04HL-16T has plenty of juice.<BR>If you use a 3" downpipe you can run very high boost but the other parts like the plastic piping and the sensor connectors don't like it that much.<BR>

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gotballs:<BR><B>Not sure what you mean by a 3' down pipe.. can u futher elaborate.. <P>Spencer</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Meaning if you have a large diameter downpipe, you can get more power.<P>The current turbo you have is pretty efficient for its size. How big do you want? Have you done any research on the car's engine before you just want to go out and fork out $$$ and buy a turbo that your engine can't even handle?<BR>

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The_one_n_only,<P> I havn't done much research on the S60 T5 engine, and I havn't done much research on turbos. This is why i am posting on this sight, i am looking for advice as to what my engine can handle, what kind of turbo would be best, with the least lag.... How much $$$$ would i have to forkover for the best i could get out there?<P>~Spencer~<P>

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gotballs:<BR><B>The_one_n_only,<BR>i am looking for advice as to what my engine can handle, what kind of turbo would be best, with the least lag.... How much $$$$ would i have to forkover for the best i could get out there?<P>~Spencer~<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hmm..not sure if I'm in the mood to get into it today. Kinda too excited and got some mix feelings after I have the car back.<P>Maybe some other members can contribute something first....b/c this is a rather long post if I really get into it. It's not easy as 1-2-3 kinda deal.<P>For my information...how much HP do you want? And how much $$$$$ do you have?<P>We'll continue next time....

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Standard turbo, 3" downpipe with sport cat. and cat back exhaust system, sport airfilter or open air filter with airdam in the engine compartment and a chip can bring you around the 300-310 HP mark at the engine, maybe a little higher.<BR>You could exchange the turbo with a TD04HL-18T/19T used on the last V/S70 R and V70R AWD 265 HP.<BR>I am not sure but word is that this turbo runs it's boost a little cooler which gives you another 10-20 engine HP but I can't verify that numbers.<BR>The older engine types used in the S70/V70/C70 start to bend rods around 330 -350 engine HP, I dont know if the S60 engine is any stronger but it is an evolution version and some internal parts are stronger.<BR>The parts build around the engine are weaker compared to the older models.<BR>Plastic tubes, plastic intercooler connections, weak and strange sensor connectors.<BR>ECU needs to be updated and with a custom compressor it would probably mean custum ECU also.<BR>As I understand these are hard to get in the US?<BR>My opinion, go the normal route first.<BR>If, by then, you are not satisfied go the turbo upgrade way.<BR>If you order a 3" downpipe you can upgrade the compressor side, turbine wheel and wastegate without the need for a new downpipe.<BR>Maybe, by then, you have found enough time to fit some custom made plumbing and a nice big intercooler.<BR>Don't forget to order some rods and a steel head gasket if you go that way.<BR>I do not have any clue if the intake/exhasut ports are large enough to handle the extra air.<BR>My last dyno with a bad chip did 255 hp to the wheels.<BR>With the latest chip the engine feels a little stronger but mainly because it runs a lot smoother.<P><BR>

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a few grand 2000-3000 to throw on this, but could have more depending on how much time i have... (not including exhaust and chip) Ummmm Currently have like 221.7 hp at the wheels... anything over 280 at the wheels would be great!!!! Or as much as the T5 engine can take without major mods.. I would appreciate it when you do have some time to do get into the details.<P>~Thanks for all the help guys~<P>~Spencer<BR>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts