SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently it's pretty easy to remove the radiator fan. Assuming I do this gently as to not damage the radiator, would it be easier to go about it this way? That way I wouldn't have to remove anything from the intake manifold, and I'd have direct access to the oil trap and hoses (i'm not replacing the long pre-turbo hose). I've spent hours researching the process and feel very confident going in and doing it the intake way, just wondering if anyone has experience doing it the other way. Thanks

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Still going to be a pita to get in there. Remove the intake mani and replace the gasket while in there.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Rad fan is 2 bolts and the airbox. Pulls right out.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'd take out the manifold. There is one bolt that holds the breather box on that is just a pain to get to. If you can't see it... well, if you can get it with out seeing it, you should consider becoming a surgeon that specializes in working in darkrooms. I don't know how I'd do it otherwise.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I'd take out the manifold. There is one bolt that holds the breather box on that is just a pain to get to. If you can't see it... well, if you can get it with out seeing it, you should consider becoming a surgeon that specializes in working in darkrooms. I don't know how I'd do it otherwise.
**** that bolt lol. I have fought with it for hours at a time blindly.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Yeah even if you pull the manifold, pull the fan anyway.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would pull the intake. Lets you inspect more for anything odd, and replace the IM and TCV gaskets. Clean the throttle body too.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I would pull the intake. Lets you inspect more for anything odd, and replace the IM and TCV gaskets. Clean the throttle body too.
TCV gasket?? Lol

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Yeah those TLAs are a PITA.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I'm just gonna do it the manifold way. I'd like to get in and inspect/clean everything anyways, and might as well do it since I have a new manifold gasket.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, decided I will just pull everything. I've got all day Saturday and Sunday with nothing planned outside of watching football (go Eagles!). I've got an intake gasket. I'll clean every part I take out, if I can. It's my understand that it's not exactly necessary to pull the thermostat housing tho? I'm gonna avoid doing that at all costs.

·
Registered
438 Posts
TCM gasket. I was talking about a TCV earlier and it saved in my autocorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
You don't have to take the thermostat off just loosen that bolt (you need a thin 1/4 10mm socket with an extension and a swivel to make it super easy) and pull up on the manifold.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You don't have to take the thermostat off just loosen that bolt (you need a thin 1/4 10mm socket with an extension and a swivel to make it super easy) and pull up on the manifold.

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to have that setup on hand. Sweet, since the bolt is just loosened I'm assuming I need to cut the original gasket out and notch the new one? Related question, is it necessary to add extra sealant or is just the gasket alone good enough?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Ahh didn't even think of that. I got the bolt completely out by wiggling the bolt out by hand while it was against the thermostat. So it is doable. But honestly it's 2 torx bolts to get it off. I would not recommend cutting the gasket.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I have had at least 2 of these gaskets straight from volvo and neither have been notched.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I know it's hard to see but check this out. This is an oem gasket stuck on because that bolt had not been taken out yet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts