SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, we are about to have the main seal (rear) replaced on our 2008 V8 (on the warranty company's dime).

I've heard all that has to come out for this job and the hours involved, so I was wondering what other preventative type jobs should be done "while they're in there"?

The type of jobs that would save so much on labor since they already have all this other stuff apart, that it's worth the (relatively minor) extra expense to do it now.

Car has 105,000 miles on it.

One thing my mechanic mentioned he would have done (before he turned down the job because he wanted more hours than the warranty will pay, which ironically two dealerships have agreed to), was to clean or replace the PCV valve? Since that likely is making the oil leak from the seal worse.

Something else I was wondering about was the timing belt/water pump service, if it is easier to do during this... but I'm not sure if the whole engine is being dropped, or just the transmission? I believe at one point the front seal was mentioned as having a leak as well, but that got lost in the shuffle when the warranty inspector came out to look at the car and isn't currently approved... so I was figuring just start that as a separate claim once the smoke clears from the rear seal... but if the engine does come out now, should I specifically mention that now and get it onto the same claim?

I know, a lot of questions all over the place. Basically I want to take advantage of this situation the best I can to try to save some money down the road. Make lemonade from lemons or whatever.

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I would absolutely get everything under warranty done as a single claim. Also, do the subframe bushings while it's down.

·
Registered
696 Posts
If they are pulling out the whole engine, I would pay extra to have the alternator replaced while the engine is out, as preventive maintenance. They can throw on a new serpentine belt at the same time. It seems the V8 alternator is very prone to failure after about 100k miles. It's $1200+ in labor with the engine in place, but probably $100 with the engine out. Lots of threads on here about the issue.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Also, the pcv system is a non issue on the V8 (your mechanic is more familiar with pcv problems on 5 cylinder Volvos), and there is no timing belt to replace (it's a chain).

·
Registered
570 Posts
you dont need to remove the engine when replacing the rear main seal,the transmission comes out,the engine stays...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
thats not a whole lot of miles. im curious why/how the rear main seal was compromised? clogged PCV usually causes this but it is a non issue with V8's

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine has 135k and started showing signs of leaking 5k miles ago. It's not bad at this point so I am rolling with it at this point

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An update on this. It's a long story I won't get into, but basically there are no leaking seals on our V8 at this time, including the main.

The culprit is the power steering pump, which due to its location up top and leaking down made it appear that leaks were coming from the engine. It had even fooled the warranty inspector that had come out to verify the claim. But the dealership is insisting that is the only problem, bad power steering pump.

Which is bad news for me really, because the base-level warranty I have only covers STRICTLY powertrain - would have covered the more expensive seals job, but WON'T cover the power steering pump job (which dealer wants $1,700 for, my indy wants $1,200 for).

·
Registered
668 Posts
Thanks for the update, this gives me something to think about. I too have what looks to be a leaking main seal, but I also have a whiney power steering pump. I guess I will investigate the pump first, as has been suggested in other threads.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Very interesting. I get an occasional drip from around the RMS and have assumed it was the seal, but I did have to add a little bit of PS fluid lately (and I don't ever have to add oil). I wonder if it's the same situation.

Would you possible be able to get some pictures of what the underside of your engine looks like with this leak?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts