SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opened the hood on my '07 C70 this morning and it would not stay up. I did the struts on the trunk divider so figure I will do this one too.

- Does it matter where I buy the replacement from and which brand I choose? Parts Geek has "Tuff Support"
- Anything I should know before doing the replacement?
- Any tips on removal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i / 2007 C70 T5
1,485 Posts
Keep in mind the replacement strut needs to have an angled tip, it only fits one way (when opened, rod up, strut body down). Correct replacement part is Stabilus SG115002. FCPEuro seems to be the cheapest place that sells it.
The hood is made of aluminum and it's very light.
Removal? use a flat head screwdriver to pry off the locking clips. Be careful, they're sharp!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep in mind the replacement strut needs to have an angled tip, it only fits one way (when opened, rod up, strut body down). Correct replacement part is Stabilus SG115002. FCPEuro seems to be the cheapest place that sells it.
The hood is made of aluminum and it's very light.
Removal? use a flat head screwdriver to pry off the locking clips. Be careful, they're sharp!
Thanks Facusan!

Reactions: Facusan

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rockauto also has different hood struts for p1 volvo. I can tell you right away that the c70 uses the exact same strut as the c30 ;)
I went with Stabilus, but it's a different reference than Facusan's. It fits like oem though, the volvo one is made by stabilus:
Thanks Fwinns; I went with FCP per Facusan's suggestion and got;

Volvo Hood Strut - Stabilus 31218478

Already removed the old one and save the clips in case they don't come with the replacement

Reactions: Fwinns and Facusan

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i / 2007 C70 T5
1,485 Posts
Already removed the old one and save the clips in case they don't come with the replacement
Don’t forget to clean the ball joint ends of the hood and chassis and add a little bit of grease to the ends of the strut. Mine were dry and had dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even though I chose the cheapest shipping option, FCP sent it FedEx, it arrived yesterday, and I installed after work. The new strut came with clips, so I did a little cleaning and lube as suggested and popped it on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts