SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to recall a guide to changing HID bulbs for S40/V50s with factory stock xenon. I searched Swedespeed, but the closest I found was some threads discussing how to install a kit.

I would much appreciate if someone could chime in with a guide (preferably with pictures). All I know is how to remove the housing and that the stock bulbs are D2S 4300K. I seem to recall something about taking a photo, as the bulb, pins and whatnot will only fit when they sit in one specific position?

Also AFAIK it should not be possible to mess up the automatic height level calibration when changing the bulbs, as that is adjusted via an adjuster nut - correct?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Check the sticky

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Super Moderator
15,143 Posts
Here you go!

You do have to align the bulb, however, small tabs along the side make it impossible to put the assembly back together without the bulb being properly in place.

As long as you're not dramatically forceful with the bulb (and you shouldn't have to be), the alignment of the headlights won't change.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here you go!

You do have to align the bulb, however, small tabs along the side make it impossible to put the assembly back together without the bulb being properly in place.

As long as you're not dramatically forceful with the bulb (and you shouldn't have to be), the alignment of the headlights won't change.

Thanks a million! Just watched all your other S40 video guides. Very well done and simple - just the way I like it. Keep up the good work and thanks again!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I seem to recall a guide to changing HID bulbs for S40/V50s with factory stock xenon. I searched Swedespeed, but the closest I found was some threads discussing how to install a kit.

I would much appreciate if someone could chime in with a guide (preferably with pictures). All I know is how to remove the housing and that the stock bulbs are D2S 4300K. I seem to recall something about taking a photo, as the bulb, pins and whatnot will only fit when they sit in one specific position?

Also AFAIK it should not be possible to mess up the automatic height level calibration when changing the bulbs, as that is adjusted via an adjuster nut - correct?

Thanks in advance!
Did you burn out a bulb? I have an 05 with a hundred and two thousands miles with the original bulbs. Knock on wood, all of my bulbs are the originals and you all know how dark it is up here in Alaska during the winters.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Did you burn out a bulb? I have an 05 with a hundred and two thousands miles with the original bulbs. Knock on wood, all of my bulbs are the originals and you all know how dark it is up here in Alaska during the winters.
No, both are still working. Mine are also original and has around 115K km / 72K miles on them. But I am thinking of replacing both sides with new ones. Just adjusted the height via the vertical adjusters which has helped somewhat, but the light still seems to be less bright than how it was years ago - still brighter than halogens though. But I am also considering going 5000K to get an even brighter white, while hopefully still maintaining good lighting capabilities.

·
Super Moderator
15,143 Posts
6000K vs. stock 4300K

I've had two S40s with bi-xenon. My first car's bulbs started to go around 75k miles and my current car's bulbs just went out at 89k miles. It really depends how much driving you're doing with the lights on. This past year, I've spent a lot of time with the car on but not running (to adjust and tweak many things); having the lights on then dramatically shortened their life. I plan to get my DRLs disabled within the next few weeks, it seems wasteful to have the xenons on during the day.... and I always forget to turn off the parking lights if I just drive with those.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
6000K vs. stock 4300K

I've had two S40s with bi-xenon. My first car's bulbs started to go around 75k miles and my current car's bulbs just went out at 89k miles. It really depends how much driving you're doing with the lights on. This past year, I've spent a lot of time with the car on but not running (to adjust and tweak many things); having the lights on then dramatically shortened their life. I plan to get my DRLs disabled within the next few weeks, it seems wasteful to have the xenons on during the day.... and I always forget to turn off the parking lights if I just drive with those.

Mine are on all the time as driving lights are required by law where I live.

Btw, judging from your second picture, it seems that 4300K lights up the road much better than the 6000K - or is it because the road is slightly moist on the side of the 4300K bulb?

According to what I have read, most people seem to find 4300K lighting up the road better - where 6000K has a whiter/brighter look to them. Hence, I was thinking of going the 5000K route as a compromise of both worlds. What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
15,143 Posts
Btw, judging from your second picture, it seems that 4300K lights up the road much better than the 6000K - or is it because the road is slightly moist on the side of the 4300K bulb?

According to what I have read, most people seem to find 4300K lighting up the road better - where 6000K has a whiter/brighter look to them. Hence, I was thinking of going the 5000K route as a compromise of both worlds. What do you think?
The second picture was taken after it began to rain, so the water puddled up near the crack and made that side shinier. The 6000K bulbs on both of my cars have been significantly brighter for me, the first picture really shows the light output difference.

Though, 6000K is bluer, so in sense, it wouldn't be AS bright as 5000K. Though I believe 6000 is the most pure white that you can go before getting too blue. It's really your call, I'm personally never changing from 6.

Brightness over time really depends on the bulbs too. Don't skimp and buy off brand, Philips are some of the best.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where are they required to be on all the time
Denmark. Although during day time you can use your fog lights instead, if you switch off the low beams.

The second picture was taken after it began to rain, so the water puddled up near the crack and made that side shinier. The 6000K bulbs on both of my cars have been significantly brighter for me, the first picture really shows the light output difference.

Though, 6000K is bluer, so in sense, it wouldn't be AS bright as 5000K. Though I believe 6000 is the most pure white that you can go before getting too blue. It's really your call, I'm personally never changing from 6.

Brightness over time really depends on the bulbs too. Don't skimp and buy off brand, Philips are some of the best.
Thanks - I am indeed planning on getting Philips bulbs. Which model do you recommend? I am a bit confused about distinguishing "xenon type halogen bulbs" from true xenon HID bulbs. Can I assume that all D2S bulbs are true HIDs?

·
Super Moderator
15,143 Posts
Which model do you recommend? I am a bit confused about distinguishing "xenon type halogen bulbs" from true xenon HID bulbs. Can I assume that all D2S bulbs are true HIDs?
I honestly don't know enough about bulbs and such to answer that question. But I've heard many good things (from S40 owners with xenon) that the Philips Ultinon D2S are the best, so that's what I went with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts