SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to a fault in one of my ABL left to right motors, I replaced both of my headlight assemblies. After over 250k miles, my previous headlights were covered with thousands of stone chips and road rash. They weren't yellowed like we see on most cars, but almost had a "frosted" look because of all of the stone chips. Changing them out with new lights gave me some results that I didn't expect. They made the entire car look much nicer and newer! The car looks so much more crisp and clean. Also, their output at night has got to be 75% better. I believe all of the stone chips were refracting the light all over the place. Before, I couldn't even make out the cutoff of the headlights, where now it's completely distinct.

This pic shows a good example of how my lights looked. This is a comparison of one of my old fog lights (on the right) compared to a new running light I installed (on the left).

Here's a pic of how the headlights looked before. I should have taken a pic of the old and new lights next to each other but I never thought of it because I didn't expect such a difference!

And here are the "after" shots with the new headlights installed.

Registered
whelp. Two new headlight assemblies? With ABL? As much as I want to do this to my car as well (my lenses have aged even worse considering my car's relatively low mileage) I believe the price is about 12000 SEK per assembly, about $1400 USD. EACH! Are the assemblies that much cheaper in the states or did you score a good deal off a salvage car? (if it was a salvage car I'm curious about the model year and model etc, I'd get a much easier time finding a new set if it didn't have to be s80 ones strictly).

Registered
Are you selling your old ones? How much did you score the new ones for?

Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was in no hurry to buy new ones, so I watched ebay and bought them as good deals came up. I'm completely open to selling my original lights. I you're planning on doing a retrofit, you can always swap your lenses onto them. The halogen and Xenon lenses are the same. I'd like $220 shipped for the pair of my old ABLs.

Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I have the halogen assmeblies, can I replace them with a the bixenon ones?
Yes. It's possible, but it's not as simple as "plug-and-play." Even though the connectors are the same, the bixenon lights will not work when plugged into a halogen car. It is possible to make them work, but you have to do a bit of rewiring with a relay.

Registered
Apart from rewiring I think you'll also need to fit the height/level sensors too as I don't think the halogen spec cars don't have them. And even if you've got them installed, the xenons will dip down to their lowest setting if you don't have the correct software installed as they'll get no read-out from the level sensors.

Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The correction to this is to disable/unplug the level motor. Then the manual level screw can be turned to set the headlamp level. The real key is that you end up with real xenon projectors which are optically proper for xenon bulbs rather than putting a kit in the halogen free form headlight assemblies. The bixenon flap would also continue to work. A big step over the halogens, but you won't have abl or auto leveling. However, a halogen equipped car wouldn't have had that anyway. It's not a perfect solution, but from a safety perspective, I believe it's the only solution to add xenons to a halogen equipped car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Halogens do have the adjustment knob/wheel still, don't they? If so I'd say that's a bad solution as when the car is loaded it'll get heavier and it'll, err, daze oncoming traffic. Biggest difference is that you wont be able to adjust it on the go.

I know it was possible to retrofit the level sensors on P2 cars and I'm somewhat confident it's possible on P3s aswell.

Registered
I still prefer the original halogen fog lights over the led DRLs. They give some light on the road surface compared to DRLs.
That my opinion.

Registered
Hijack: Where did you find that license plate? Looks like a mix between a German plate and a Swedish plate, which has the format [ABC 123] (I'm from Sweden).

Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hijack: Where did you find that license plate? Looks like a mix between a German plate and a Swedish plate, which has the format [ABC 123] (I'm from Sweden).
I actually had the plate made to match my real Pennsylvania number plate. We are only required to have a rear number plate in Pennsylvania, and can put whatever we like on the front of the car. I had the Swedish plate made to match the lettering on my real real number plate.

Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I still prefer the original halogen fog lights over the led DRLs. They give some light on the road surface compared to DRLs.
That my opinion.
I totally agree with you regarding functionality of the fog lights vs the LED DRLs. The LED units are for looks only and have no real function, whereas the fog lights actually do help in the fog and snow. You're completely right. I just like having my car look as updated as possible.

Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Halogens do have the adjustment knob/wheel still, don't they? If so I'd say that's a bad solution as when the car is loaded it'll get heavier and it'll, err, daze oncoming traffic. Biggest difference is that you wont be able to adjust it on the go.

I know it was possible to retrofit the level sensors on P2 cars and I'm somewhat confident it's possible on P3s aswell.
They don't in the USA. We don't get the adjustment wheel for ANY lights here. The Xenons are adjusted automatically using sensors on the suspension to determine when there is a heavy load in the rear of the car. The halogen lights have no motorized adjustment. Thats how its been in the USA for most cars since the beginning of Xenons.

Registered
I actually had the plate made to match my real Pennsylvania number plate. We are only required to have a rear number plate in Pennsylvania, and can put whatever we like on the front of the car. I had the Swedish plate made to match the lettering on my real real number plate.

Oh I see it now. Very cool. Like it!

Registered
Out of curiosity, do your new assemblies have the same part numbers as the old ones, or did you purchase them from e.g a V70 or XC70? I'm considering replacing my headlights as well but it would help a lot if I could fit ones from V70s or XC70s, or fit ones from a newer MY S80. S80's are, compared to the 70-series, relatively rare even in Sweden.

Edit: I resolved this one myself. The part no is same for all S80/VXC70s from 2007- respectively 2008-2013.

Registered
I was in no hurry to buy new ones, so I watched ebay and bought them as good deals came up. I'm completely open to selling my original lights. I you're planning on doing a retrofit, you can always swap your lenses onto them. The halogen and Xenon lenses are the same. I'd like $220 shipped for the pair of my old ABLs.
So you are saying that it is possible to swap the old transparent plastic glass with new one?Isn't it glued together?Can you give me part number for the lenses,cause i could't find those anywhere.The old s80 headlight assembly was much easier to fix by just replacing the lenses.Thank you!

Registered
I believe it's technically possible to split the seam between the "plastic glass" and the assembly but I think someone at a swedish volvo forum did it (or someone here? not sure) and as I recall it was very difficult and in your case wouldn't help as the plastic glass isn't available to purchase as a spare part, at least not in VIDA.

Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes. I can swap the lens itself. It's held on by a series of clips and pliable adhesive. You can separate them with a heat gun or by baking the headlight in an oven at low temp.

Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Out of curiosity, do your new assemblies have the same part numbers as the old ones, or did you purchase them from e.g a V70 or XC70? I'm considering replacing my headlights as well but it would help a lot if I could fit ones from V70s or XC70s, or fit ones from a newer MY S80. S80's are, compared to the 70-series, relatively rare even in Sweden.

Edit: I resolved this one myself. The part no is same for all S80/VXC70s from 2007- respectively 2008-2013.
Correct. And 2014-2015 will fit also. They just have an LED matrix for the position light rather than a single standard bulb.

Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got a couple good side-by-side pics of a new headlight compared to one of the headlights that I removed from my car. The difference is pretty amazing. You can actually see in the pic with the flash how much less light is being let through the lens.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts