SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the wheel hub assembly come out with a little physical persuasion or (since there's no bolts holding it in) do I have to take off the whole knuckle and get the hub pressed out/in at the shop?

07 V50 AWD

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Yea, I had to take mine to pepboys and they charged 25 bucks. There is no way you can get it out by yourself unless you have a shop press.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Has anyone done this themselves? I'd love to see some pics as well as the actual tools needed. I had to have the fronts done by a shop, and would have preferred to do it myself, but just didn't have the tools or the info at the time. I'd like to do the rears myself when I get new rotors and pads.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I wish I took more than one picture, I can see if I can copy the VIDA instructions for you. You will def. need a breaker bar and a ball joint removal tool. You can rent the breaker bar from auto-zone and this is the only other tool you need:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-forged-ball-point-joint-separator-99849.html

If you do it yourself you pay for the part and 20$ on tools and 25$ on a shop press. Much cheaper if you do it yourself, if you were on this coast I would help you it was a PITA

·
Registered
658 Posts
That tool helps. Thanks. I'll put it on my list. $25 for a shop press? That's fairly cheap. Any recommendations for that, too?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
That tool helps. Thanks. I'll put it on my list. $25 for a shop press? That's fairly cheap. Any recommendations for that, too?
Haha I should have explained further, I took mine to pep boys they removed the old hub from my wheel spindle and put the new one in for 25$. I wish, those things are a couple of grand even if I had the garage space

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I think your talking about getting the splines out of the hub assembly. I haven't done the wheel hubs on the S40 yet, but I've done my XC front and rear and I can't imagine it being much different. I spray the contact area down with wd40, wack it a few times (keep in mind old hub is getting tossed anyway) and spray it some more. I alternate between wacking it with a hammer and spraying w/wd40. If your talking about removing the hub assembly from the steering knuckle once the bolts are out, I still used the same method. You may need a chisel and a prybar. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts