SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I replaced my ball joints and control arms. Ripped my boot, cut it off and bought a new one.

Well I tried the funnel trick without getting anywhere, looked on the cv arm to see if I could find how I could take the knuckle off and I didnt see ANY clips I could remove.

This is the right (passenger) side. I dont want to/dont know how to remove the whole axle so if I can do it with it on that would be best unless its easy to remove.

I have drill this weekend and need to get this boot on asap. Any ideas or tips would be awesome, searching online doesnt bring up to much stuff and if it does pictures were removed, etc.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Pull the 2 spindle to strut bolts and the entire thing will come forward enough for the axle to come out of the hub... You will need an alignment after that.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok guys. I took the entire axle out and cleaned the outside knuckle. Problem is I cant see where the retaining pin is for the knuckle so I can remove it. Are you able to remove these outside knuckles or do you have to do everything from the inside?

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
They are held in by a retention clip. The problem with doing it with the axle in the car is you need to knock them off with a hammer, which requires holding the shaft in a vice. Try it in the car and you may accidentally pull out the inner joint.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have removed it. The problem is me and 3 other guys cant see the clip for the knuckle so Im going to replace both boots and just work from the other side. We think the outside knuckle is pressed in. I used a deadblow both ways and it did nothing for me as far as showing the clip.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well then its kinda hard to remove it.

Also, I removed my inner boot since it needs to be replaced anyways. Well when I gently pulled the cv apart from the axle everything fell out. Hoping its not a pain in the ass to get it all back in.

Good news is I see the clip for the inner area now! This has turned into a bigger job then I wanted lol. Dont tear your boot!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I got both boots replaced and the inner bearings back in. Everything moved well but the inner at full tilt would have a small hiccup which should be normal since the inner should never be at full tilt right?

Well I have a small vibration now that is very subtle and silent the whole front end is completely silent inside the car with Windows down. I have zero clicks or bumps in the steering when turning. You guys just think I need an alignment or what?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts