SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so recently, i started hearing noise form passenger side wheel when I do a right turn.
i took the car, S40T, to bing o tire and they said its my struts and bearing. said it might cost about $700.
and I took it to peep-boys, and they pretty much said the same thing but peep-boys actually did the test drive and heard the noise and told me that they don't know where the noise was coming from. And told me to visit the dealers and have them figure out and bring it here....at least they were honest unlike big o tire.

So lastly, i took it to the import automotive which seemed more profession that the other two.
they drove it for 10 mins and they said they still have to tear a part and look at them.
Gladly they figured it out. they said it was the control arm bushings and engine mount.
however, replacing both front lower control arm bushings cost ..204 part and 314 labor , total 518.
And for front engine mount costs...203 part and 157 labor, total 360.

after the service, no more noise and seems good.
I'm so happy that i didn't let the bing o tire and peep-boys do the servise.
However, my concern is that is my whole story reasonable and the costs of control arm bushing and engine mount sounds reasonable?

Thank you ,,,wish i had known this site eariler.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Engine mount cost at the dealer is around $130, control arm bushing is probably less than $100, altough its cheaper than what pepboys wanted to charge you, I think you still got charged more than you should have been charged

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, but OH mY GOSH>..!
My car stopped in the middle of high way...

So, after all the service, no noise and everything seemed okay. But today I was on the high way, and I felt something weird on my car.
I was pushing acceleration pedal, and It wn't do anything..no RPM going up or anything..and slowly RPM goes below 1 and reached 0 and stopped.
WHAT THE xUck......and the engine oil light came up.

So i turned it off and restarted about 3mins and it worked fine after.
HOwever, i had to go somewhere so I took the car same day, and it happened again.

PLZ...i need some help....

if low in engine oil could stop the car??? but i just changed my sythetic oil.??
could it be something from import fixing my engine mount and they screwed something else???

plz.....tell me something

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
1. make sure you have oil in the car. no oil = very bad.
2. go to your local peep boys and have them pull the codes for free.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
engine going into limp mode or stopping altogether may show up as a code in your computer system and help narrow the cause down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so they found the false code and they told me that they have to replace the "fuel pressure sensor",,if i remembered it correctly.

anyways, I told him to fix it and he said hes gonna do some vacuum test (smog)?? anyways.
he said its about $650......and I was wondering fixing it self costs 650? and vacuum test free? or both added and the total is 650????

is the price seems OKAY? or Am i getting rip off??

and one more question...he suggested me to do the transmition fluid or something flush.....
is that required??
last check up was 120,000....changing belts and stuff, paid 1455 for that.
and i'm 155,000. Should I do the transmittion fluid service?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
smoke test should be 1/2 hour labor at most.
not sure what it is for the FPS. (part/labor). might want to check Tasca.com for part price.

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
FPS is about $65-$140 depending on where you shop. Changing it is easy, there is a write-up. Cost is free if you are brave enough to tackle this.
So I'd say that $650 is insanely expensive.

If you've had the transmission flushed at 120,000 miles, then it is too soon. If you've never had it flushed before....there are two schools of thought.
a) do it because it must be extremely dirty and if you want the transmission to last.
b) don't do it because you'll cause more problems as you dislodge the particulates.
Take your pick, jury is still out on this. Did you know what was done at your 120k mile service, exactly? The maintenance manual does not specify any need to flush the transmission...ever. So I doubt it was ever done. It's this special magical everlasting fresh fluid that Volvo uses. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts