SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,<br>It looks like I need to replace the heater blower fan and possibly the cabin temp sensor in my '98 S70. I can do the blower but can't get at the sensor.It's next to the rear window defrost switch. Can anyone explain how to access it?<br>Thanks!<p>

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Re: Replacing cabin temp sensor (Jimmy)

It is painfully easy! All you need to do is get behind the sensor which is easiest via the ECC module hole, after pulling out the ECC controls. From there when you have your fingers on the sensor there are two tabs you need to squeeze in towards the body of the sensor. The tabs are located at 12 and 6 'O-clock and are nearly flush with the body of the sensor. You will know you are in the correct spot when the tip of your index finger and thumb both hit a wall of sorts. This wall is the actual "hook" that will release when you depress the little cutouts in the sensor body. You do not need to put much force in order to release these clips since they are a decent design... Once you release the clips the sensor will come right out and can be swapped.<p>Good luck and cheers,<br>Prospero

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Prospero. Removing it isn't so much the problem, but rather getting my hand to the unit. I've been trying to figure out how to remove the ECC module without too much brute force. Any thoughts on this? Do the knogs come off to reveal screws?<br>Thanks

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Re: (Jimmy)

The ECC comes out with some judicious use of force.<p>Remove the radio, no need to take cables out...just enough to get your hands into the hole and behind the ECC.<p>Now apply even force to the rear of the ECC and push it out towards you. Be sure to apply even pressure to the top and bottom edges since that is where the clips are and all of the force needs to go. You will need to get the top and bottom out at the same time in order to keep from getting wedged or delaminating your woodgrain (if you have it.) <p>There are no screws, bolts, or nuts to deal with. These parts simply pop in and out with the right touch. Once you do it once or twice...you'll be able to get it in your sleep.<p>Good luck and cheers!<br>Prospero

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Prospero,<br>Thanks for the tip. The ECC popped out easily and the sensor is in. Unfortunately I still need a blower.<p>Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts