SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last I checked, cabin air filters are supposed to be user serviceable items on any vehicle and should take no more than 10 minutes to replace.

Well, I discovered that 'user serviceable' isn't in the Volvo vocabulary. At least for the R-Design, there's a fuse box right in front of the panel where the cabin air filter is supposed to go. I've drawn a box around the cabin air filter door in red, and in orange, there's the fuse box (see image below).

Who's bright idea was it to place that there for an item you're supposed to replace EVERY YEAR!
I haven't the slightest idea how this comes out, and because of the poor visibility under the glove compartment, can't see anything (it doesn't help that all the plastic in there is black).

Has anyone done this before and can point me in the right direction? I'm loathe to pay any mechanic to do such a mundane maintenance item.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Googled:

volvo 87211-2

Found:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNFWgXQzvxa6v3i68GSXXvpuQ2tHgw&cad=rja

87211-2 is the procedure number listed on the data alldatadiy.com sells which is how I
found the search string. For a fairly low annual fee you get access to lots of service info
from alldatadiy.com.

Pages 3 and 4 match what I see for my S60. Page 2 does not seem to belong to the
above document.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Googled:

volvo 87211-2

Found:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNFWgXQzvxa6v3i68GSXXvpuQ2tHgw&cad=rja

87211-2 is the procedure number listed on the data alldatadiy.com sells which is how I
found the search string. For a fairly low annual fee you get access to lots of service info
from alldatadiy.com.

Pages 3 and 4 match what I see for my S60. Page 2 does not seem to belong to the
above document.
That's great - I'll give it a whirl. As an owner, I'm quite annoyed at having to pay for this information at all - this should be in the owner's manual under section 8 - Maintenance...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Heck, it's not just Volvo. Our Aunt's mid-Zins Buick Century hadn't had filters changed until I did them a couple of years ago in anticipation of selling the vehicle. The air intake filter was tough enough but the cabin air filter required removing all manner of gaskets and 'cowling' to access(the plastic retention pins are another story!). Naturally, things seldom go back together as easily as they come apart, but I finally managed to scrape enough knuckles to appease the automotive gods and got everything back in place. ;)

I've looked under the hood of our T6 a couple of times and just shake my head. It is TIGHT in there!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just did the cabin filter 2011 XC-60

The fuse box unsnaps at the top by pulling the top toward you. Then it hinges down and unhooks from two points at bottom. Not necessary to unplug any connectors, the box can fold down and rotate to the side and stay there while you change filter. Even before this operation the side panel just to the left of the passengers leg comes off by pulling straight out from the strongest clip, the one closest to the firewall. Then the others will just unplug easier. That allows the carpet to get out of your way. Not a bad job at all. The pictures help but a little explanation would even be better.
Ron

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fuse box unsnaps at the top by pulling the top toward you. Then it hinges down and unhooks from two points at bottom. Not necessary to unplug any connectors, the box can fold down and rotate to the side and stay there while you change filter. Even before this operation the side panel just to the left of the passengers leg comes off by pulling straight out from the strongest clip, the one closest to the firewall. Then the others will just unplug easier. That allows the carpet to get out of your way. Not a bad job at all. The pictures help but a little explanation would even be better.
Ron
Everything went smoothly - the fuse box is a bit stiff to get out (hence my apprehension when I first saw it and didn't have a diagram to go by), and you really have to bend the filter almost to 90 degrees to get it in and out.

Otherwise, for anyone doing it themselves, it's a Mann filter (part number CUK2733 - if you have the interior air quality system (IAQS)) that Volvo supplies as OEM and costs between $25-$30.00 from parts stores. Dealer was quoting $68.00 for the part alone - labour extra.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you all for the info,
The first time i saw the fuse box i got very angry because didn't know how to take it off without damaging it and then i put the panel back.
After i read this thread i went back to my car and it took me no more than 8-10 minutes to have the job done.
Thank you all very much!!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny - came back to look at this post 2 years later to replace the filter again. Awesome.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
That's great - I'll give it a whirl. As an owner, I'm quite annoyed at having to pay for this information at all - this should be in the owner's manual under section 8 - Maintenance...
You can get VIDA from your favorite BitTorrent site for "free"... :)

Maybe it's worse on the XC60, but from the photo it looks identical to both our XC70 and S80 which I changed recently and it only took maybe 5-10 minutes each.
You just gotta not be afraid to bend the filter when you install it and just shove it in there. It's more flexible than you think.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm going to have to look into getting VIDA at some point. The thing I got for my last Volvo was 2005 VADIS - way out of date!

·
Registered
390 Posts
You can always do what I do, which is to only change the filter when the air flow drops of enough to notice. A dirty filter actually works better at filtering out particulate at the cost of decreased air flow.

This doesn't apply to activated carbon filters as I understand that the IAQ system has though.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
This doesn't apply to activated carbon filters as I understand that the IAQ system has though.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
BTW, even Volvos without IAQS can fit the larger charcoal activated filter that the IAQS cars use...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can smell when the filter's due to be changed as you get a whiff (I really can't describe it) when the AC first turns on, and then it clears out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts