SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back for oil change and inspection at 96,715 miles for my 2010 S80 T6 at my indie shop

Had this recommendation... "Vacuum in the crankcase is excessive. Recommend replacing as soon as possible." Cost for replacing the breather housing was $517.13 for the part + two hours labor. Haven't check that quote with dealer price yet. Not yet making a whistling noise that I can hear.

No sense of urgency to immediately replace... I'd likely get it done about mid-September. Probably not put another 1,000 miles by then.

Any words of wisdom here re (1) pricing and (2) immediacy of repair?

Curiosity question... is this a common problem on our cars? Did a search on this forum that didn't turn up much.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Are you taking about the oil trap? If so, it’s a very simple replacement that you can do in an hour. I ordered the oil trap from taspaparts and did it myself. It’s a few bolts around the unit that you have to undo and it comes right off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you taking about the oil trap? If so, it's a very simple replacement that you can do in an hour. I ordered the oil trap from taspaparts and did it myself. It's a few bolts around the unit that you have to undo and it comes right off.

Well now... not sure of the terminology. Will have to check on that. "Breather housing" was the term used. Don't know if that's the same as "oil trap" but will Google about more and see what I can learn. And yes, if both parts are the same and it is as simple as you say then 2 hours labors seems high.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
It's gotta be the PCV breather box. I think it only pays an hour on a turbo. Takes me maybe 10 minutes.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you taking about the oil trap? If so, it's a very simple replacement that you can do in an hour. I ordered the oil trap from taspaparts and did it myself. It's a few bolts around the unit that you have to undo and it comes right off.

I did find this description although for an earlier model S80... at Repair Pal website Among the same comments are two that mention dealer repair costs of $700+ and $1000. Neither was broken apart for part cost and labor.

Will have to listen tomorrow for the sound mentioned as I've not yet heard that... but then was not listening for it.

2003 Volvo S80 103,000 mi
"at 103K the Car began a high pitched hum or squeal after the car warmed up. The squealing could be temporarily stopped by pressing the accelerator. The car was diagnosed as a cracked breather box, also known as, the flame trap, the oil trap. A small plastic box connected to the PCV System that has a plastic nipple that cracks and squeals form the oil pressure. The repair is difficult to get to and costs a lot in labor. My technician told me this is a common problem around 100K due to Volvo increasing the oil change intervals to 7500mils. Volvo even recalled and issued a service bulletin for many S80's. Mine was not covered."

·
Registered
221 Posts
Question about that oil trap box. My S80 3.2 AWD is 2007 and the marking on oil trap box is 2006. Could it be that it was never replaced and it's fine?
Can it be so bad that it doesn't make any sound :D ? Car is at 350k km's

·
Registered
2 Posts
2010 S80 T6 Breather Question

Hi,

New here and I have a 2010 s80 T6 that does not have the high pitched noise that indicates a clogged breather. However, when running it is difficult to remove the oil filler cap and when I do get it off, there is a sucking sound. Is this normal?

Thanks

Pete

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi,

New here and I have a 2010 s80 T6 that does not have the high pitched noise that indicates a clogged breather. However, when running it is difficult to remove the oil filler cap and when I do get it off, there is a sucking sound. Is this normal?

Thanks

Pete
I replaced mine because there was a vacuum leak through the cap on the right hand side of the breather housing. It appeared to me upon disassembly that excess vacuum ripped a hole in the little rubber membrane underneath that cap. What you can do is start the car, pull off the engine cover, and take a glance at that cap. On that cap there is a small hole. This is where my car was sucking in air. Put your finger over the hole and see if you feel any vacuum. If you feel vacuum, completely cover the hole. If your car behaves like mine it'll begin making that annoying whistling noise within 20 seconds. If this happens, I would suggest replacing the PCV box. You could also replace just the rubber membrane, but the plastic cap is quite brittle and might break upon removal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts