SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done this? I have tears in two armrests, so I ordered the parts from Volvo. They are black ABS plastic with the appropriate color vinyl/foam glued to them. A series of pins are molded into the ABS, about 5 or 6 mm in diameter and different lengths that mate with holes in the door panel, maybe a dozen per armrest. There are no traditional fasteners.

On the original armrest, there look to be black 'buttons' on the ends of the pins that hold it to the panel. I can't figure if these are separate pieces or if the factory uses some kind of a hot iron to melt the end of the pin and form the button. I don't want to start trying to tear an armrest off until I can determine how I'm going to assemble it again.

TIA

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One (two actually) of the issues with my 2006 S80 is that the front passenger and rear driver side armrests were torn. I think the PO tried to carry something long in the car, kitty corner? Anyway, they half-assed repaired it with some very hard glue. My eyes were drawn to the damage like a magnet and I knew I'd never get used to it.

I ordered the parts from FCP (about $50 each) but when I removed the panel I was surprised to not just find a couple of screws but this instead. They looked like black plastic buttons.

On the new armrests, there are about a dozen of these pins
[/URL

Apparently, at the factory they must use some sort of hot iron to melt the pin into a rivet basically. The first thing to do was to Dremel off the buttons and using a sharp tool (I used a 1/4" wood chisel) pop off the remainder of the plastic. It takes a little gently wiggling to unclip the tray under the pull recess to dislodge the old armrest.

[URL=http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/peterbrown77/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160130_104706.jpg.html]

Installing the new armrest proved tricky too, as you have to get the 'tray' (I don't know what else to call where you would pull the door closed if you didn't use the grab handle) clipped on on both the door and interior side. I think they install the armrest first and the tray last at the factory, so maybe it would be wise to order both and just grind out the tray rivets as well.

Then I went around each pin with a hot glue gun and reinstalled.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Nice work! I didn't know Volvo sold individual pieces to any of their door panels other than the door pulls.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Parts.com is a great resource for stuff like that - all the parts breakdowns are there with Volvo part numbers in detail, so that you can order the correct colors etc.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Parts.com is a great resource for stuff like that - all the parts breakdowns are there with Volvo part numbers in detail, so that you can order the correct colors etc.
Awesome info. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts