SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2004 V70 that I was planning to give to my mom, however the rack and pinion leaks profusely. I understand you have to drop the sub frame to replace it. Anyone have any experience doing this? Is it a hard job or can I tough through it...? Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
It would be hard to recommend without a lift, tools, and someone who has done it before standing by in case you get in over your head. The power steering lines can be delicate and if they get damaged they will be a mess to change. The rack once installed needs to be properly centered or you will have more of a turning radius on one side than the other.

An alignment will have to be performed afterwards too.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be hard to recommend without a lift, tools, and someone who has done it before standing by in case you get in over your head. The power steering lines can be delicate and if they get damaged they will be a mess to change. The rack once installed needs to be properly centered or you will have more of a turning radius on one side than the other.

An alignment will have to be performed afterwards too.
Hmm interesting. Ive done quite a bit of mechanical work before and Ive replaced a few steering racks, just not on an 04 V70 and nothing that requires dropping the sub frame.. I think im going to attempt it myself but I don't know if Im gonna get access to a lift..

·
Registered
7,612 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts