SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am in the preliminary stages of looking for a replacement car for my S80 V8. I have narrowed it down to a 2017 or 2018 S90 T6 Inscription. I plan on keeping the replacement car for at least 125k miles. We have a 2017 XC90 and I find the T6 engine provides plenty of power both off the line and at highway speeds. The Sensus is a little slow to boot up and process commands but that is not too much of a problem for me. I know the 2019s have a faster processor.

I would like to keep the budget at $40k max. Must haves are ventilated front seats, auto dimming door mirrors, BW sound system (we have it in our XC90 and it is fantastic) and heated rear seats to keep the kids happy.

I wanted to ask all of you current owners on your opinions on the following points:

1. How is the suspension feel of the non air suspension? I prefer a slightly firmer ride with less body roll and dive. I do not want to go with the air suspension rout due to the replacement cost down the road. My current S80 needs the 4C shocks replaced, dealer quote is $3900. I have my indie mechanic looking into it.

2. Can the R-design sport suspension springs and shocks be installed onto a non air suspension 2017 S90. What about a 2018 with the longer wheelbase?

3. What are the turning radius's like for the 2017s and 2018s. Are they easy to maneuver to park.

4. Any items to look out for in a potential candidate.

Thank you.
Napster

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I am in the preliminary stages of looking for a replacement car for my S80 V8. I have narrowed it down to a 2017 or 2018 S90 T6 Inscription. I plan on keeping the replacement car for at least 125k miles. We have a 2017 XC90 and I find the T6 engine provides plenty of power both off the line and at highway speeds. The Sensus is a little slow to boot up and process commands but that is not too much of a problem for me. I know the 2019s have a faster processor.

I would like to keep the budget at $40k max. Must haves are ventilated front seats, auto dimming door mirrors, BW sound system (we have it in our XC90 and it is fantastic) and heated rear seats to keep the kids happy.

I wanted to ask all of you current owners on your opinions on the following points:

1. How is the suspension feel of the non air suspension? I prefer a slightly firmer ride with less body roll and dive. I do not want to go with the air suspension rout due to the replacement cost down the road. My current S80 needs the 4C shocks replaced, dealer quote is $3900. I have my indie mechanic looking into it.

2. Can the R-design sport suspension springs and shocks be installed onto a non air suspension 2017 S90. What about a 2018 with the longer wheelbase?

3. What are the turning radius's like for the 2017s and 2018s. Are they easy to maneuver to park.

4. Any items to look out for in a potential candidate.

Thank you.
Napster
I previously had a 2008 Volvo S80 3.2 which was very enjoyable to drive and now have a 2018 V90 which is a totally different animal.

My V90 does not have air suspension and I find that the ride is perfectly fine. Likewise, I have no concerns with the turning radius and find parking in my parking garage to be a breeze.

When I was looking at cars at the end of 2018, incentives were on the new V90 wagons as opposed to the S90 sedans. That made the purchase of a new car more than worthwhile.

Since you are looking used, you should beware that many will be former daily rental cars and there may not be any documentation of the 10K service being performed at a Volvo dealer in the CarFax report (something that made me fun shy of the used cars) since CPO warranties will not cover abuse of the prior owner. Also, as I am sure you are probably aware from your XC90, the SPA cars require premium fuel and there is no certainty that premium fuel would have been used by the prior owner. Unknown what the effect on the motor would be.

Lindsay Volvo Alexandria has one in your budget that also had its 10K service performed at a Volvo dealer.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info. I have looked at Lindsay Volvo's inventory. I intend to keep away from ex rental cars.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Thank you for the info. I have looked at Lindsay Volvo's inventory. I intend to keep away from ex rental cars.
Unfortunately, it seems that most of the one-owner late model cars are either short term lease turn ins, service loaners or rental cars. I found that when I was originally looking at inventories for used Volvo V60 wagons.

·
Registered
848 Posts
2018 or even 2019 is better than 2017 . The biggest and annoying issue in 2017 is Infotainment system is slow and can be annoying. 2018 is faster but still not perfect and 2019 is 3x faster than 2017 and 2x faster than 2018. I have 2018 inscription with air system and its very good it doesn't fill like boat . Air system is in the back only and replacing air system not as much $ as regular . my prev cars had air systems in back and it costed less than replace front suspension components and it lasted longer than front struts .

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys. I used google maps and literally went through every Volvo dealer website in the entire continental US. Looked at both used 2017/2018 S90s and new 2018s that are still on dealer lots. Plenty of new/used 2018/2019 momentum spec S90's cars vs inscription models.

Good to hear that the 2018s have a faster Sensus boot time than the 2017s. I thought only the 2019s got a faster processor.

I assume the China trade tariffs are to blame with no new S90 imports. Next step will be to drive a standard suspension S90 and see how much it floats in the corners.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Thanks Guys. I used google maps and literally went through every Volvo dealer website in the entire continental US. Looked at both used 2017/2018 S90s and new 2018s that are still on dealer lots. Plenty of new/used 2018/2019 momentum spec S90's cars vs inscription models.

Good to hear that the 2018s have a faster Sensus boot time than the 2017s. I thought only the 2019s got a faster processor.

I assume the China trade tariffs are to blame with no new S90 imports. Next step will be to drive a standard suspension S90 and see how much it floats in the corners.
I would use CarGurus or equivalent to browse dealer listings. Much quicker and all in one place.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used autotrader and cars.com. Will try CarGurus as well.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am zeroing on some used 2018 S90 Inscription models.

One the 2018 models are auto dimming exterior mirrors standard? This is a must for me.

I checked the length compared to our 2017 XC90 and the lwb S90 is about 5" longer.

For those of you own/drive the longer wheelbase S90s. What are the turning radius's like. Is the lwb maneuverable in a parking garage? Is it overly long? This would be the largest car I have ever owned/driven in terms of overall length.

I am going to our local dealer this weekend to compare a 2018 and 2017 S90 to my S80.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
I just got my 2017 S90 T6 Inscription from Don Beyer Dulles. They have several in stock and pricing was good. I wanted a non-air suspension S90 so I would have more suspension options such as Polestar Ohlins.

The LWB was just a tad too long to fit in my garage with how my shelfs are setup. The extra legroom is awesome though! I wasn't aware the 2018s had faster CPUs for Sensus, just improved software, which should be available for all models now. From what I recall, the 2019 XC40 was the first announced with faster hardware.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Auto-dimming exterior mirrors? Never heard of this option. I have a 2018 S90 T8 with almost every option and I don’t have this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Auto-dimming exterior mirrors? Never heard of this option. I have a 2018 S90 T8 with almost every option and I don’t have this.

from 2018 owners manual.
Have it on myS90

WINDOWS, GLASS AND MIRRORS
pg 172 * Option/accessory.

Adjusting the rearview mirror
dimming function
Bright light entering the vehicle from behind, e.g.
from the headlights of following vehicles, could
reflect in the rearview mirror and door mirrors
and cause a glare. Use the dimming function
when light from behind is distracting.
Auto-dim
If bright light enters the vehicle from behind, the
door mirrors will automatically dim. Auto-dim is
always active when the engine is running, except
when reverse gear is engaged.
NOTE
When the level of sensitivity is changed, this
change will not be noticeable immediately but
will instead take effect after a short period of
time.
The sensitivity level for dimming will affect both
the rearview mirror and door mirrors.
1. Tap Settings in the Top view in the center
display.
2. Tap My Car Mirrors and Convenience.
3. Under Rearview Mirror Auto Dimming,
select Normal, Dark or Light.
The rearview mirror instead has two sensors -
one pointing forward and one pointing rearward -
which work together to identify and eliminate
glare. The forward-pointing sensor monitors
ambient light, while the rearward-pointing sensor
monitors light from the headlights of following
vehicles.
For the door mirrors to be equipped with autodim,
the rearview mirror must also be equipped
with auto-dim.
NOTE
If the sensors are obstructed by e.g. a parking
permit, transponder, sunshade or objects on
the seats or parcel shelf in a way that prevents
light from reaching the sensors, the
auto-dim function in the rearview and door
mirrors will be reduced.

·
Registered
16,823 Posts
No more weegan? Sedan! You don't list the 07 passion VR in your signature. :confused:
I just got my 2017 S90 T6 Inscription from Don Beyer Dulles. They have several in stock and pricing was good. I wanted a non-air suspension S90 so I would have more suspension options such as Polestar Ohlins.

The LWB was just a tad too long to fit in my garage with how my shelfs are setup. The extra legroom is awesome though! I wasn't aware the 2018s had faster CPUs for Sensus, just improved software, which should be available for all models now. From what I recall, the 2019 XC40 was the first announced with faster hardware.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
153 Posts
For those of you own/drive the longer wheelbase S90s. What are the turning radius's like. Is the lwb maneuverable in a parking garage? Is it overly long? This would be the largest car I have ever owned/driven in terms of overall length.

I am going to our local dealer this weekend to compare a 2018 and 2017 S90 to my S80.
We have a 2018 S90 T8 Inscription. The length is both a blessing and a curse. My wife can’t stand parking it (it’s as long as our Odyssey), but my daughters LOVE the massive back seat. Park assist is available if you want to use it, but in the almost two years we’ve had the car we haven’t used it once.

Turning radius is worse than our A6, but given the length that’s to be expected. Beyond the turning radius I’d make sure the slightly laggy Sensus system won’t drive you nuts - that has been my wife’s other big complaint.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have a 2018 S90 T8 Inscription. The length is both a blessing and a curse. My wife can’t stand parking it (it’s as long as our Odyssey), but my daughters LOVE the massive back seat. Park assist is available if you want to use it, but in the almost two years we’ve had the car we haven’t used it once.

Turning radius is worse than our A6, but given the length that’s to be expected. Beyond the turning radius I’d make sure the slightly laggy Sensus system won’t drive you nuts - that has been my wife’s other big complaint.
Thanks for the insight. I have got used to the slowness of the Sensus system in our 2017 XC90. About 10 years ago it would have driven me nuts. Now I guess I have mellowed a little with age.

I did a back to back at the local dealer with a 2017 and 2018. Boy is that back seat in the 2018 large.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I love my 2018 S90 T8. The back seat room is incredible.

Yes it is a big car. And a great looking one too!! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yes I love my 2018 s90 Inscription . Its not bad on radios when you use 365 degree cam:).. Yes it has auto dim ext mirrors and you can control in sensus how dark they will get. yes system does have a lag but not as much compare to 2017 models.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I find the non-air sport suspension in our '18 V90 T6 R-Design rides borderline plush, yet handles very well, planted. And that's with the 20" wheels with lower profile 255/35-20 tires. I'll even go as far as to say, the RD rides more comfortably, absorbs road imperfection better than our '18 V90 T6 CC Ocean Race, which has the tall CC suspension with airbags, plus thicker sidewall tires. Go figure.

Oh, get the 2018 - they've worked more bugs out by then.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have an '18 S90. One of the main deciding factors was the amazing rear legroom. I don't find the turning radius to be a problem, although I did learn how to drive on a Suburban and Crown Victoria.

Mine has the exterior auto-dimming mirrors. These sorts of features are awesome and you don't notice them until you drive a car that doesn't have them. I do with Sensus was faster. Overall, it is my favorite car yet that I have ever had. I enjoy the drive every day.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts