SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The OEM H-rated Michelins on my 2004 XC-90 are just about worn out at 40k. Always been partial to Michelin, but their H-rated replacements (e.g., Energy MXV4) are stressing my retired paycheck. Found a Michelin Cross Terrain SUV T-rated tire on sale at a significant savings. Discussed with my dealer who had no objections to the T-rated as far as handling, load, etc. Since my senior citizen wife and I rarely exceed the posted speed limit nowadays and seldom load it with more than a few grocery bags, I feel the safety factor provided by the H-rated tire is, in our case, overrated and overpriced. Welcome the opinions of the forum.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Re: Replacement Tires -- H-rated the only choice? (BillP_XTC90_MD)

What size tires we talking about?

Overall if they're round, black and hold air, the rest is marketing. Especially the Michelin name. Check the feedback on the tires at the Tirerack. Don't discount the Asian tires.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Re: Replacement Tires -- H-rated the only choice? (robtr8)

Quote, originally posted by robtr8 »
What size tires we talking about?

Overall if they're round, black and hold air, the rest is marketing. Especially the Michelin name. Check the feedback on the tires at the Tirerack. Don't discount the Asian tires.

The rest is marketing?
A tire's load rating is pretty important, and if you think that is just marketing you are throwing the dice.

BillP_XTC90_MD: Check the spec on your current OEM tire and make sure you understand the gamble if you stray to far from the OEM load rating.

LTA

·
Registered
111 Posts

I have the cross terrains on my Santa Fe. They are wearing very well, and have good grip in all weather, but I find them a bit loud, ever since new, comparing to the OEM B.F. Goodrich (don't recall which model), which lasted 60k miles and could have gone another 10k. At the time I thought I was moving up in quality, but in hindsight would have gone with the OEM's. Supposedly a lesser quality tire. But not in my experience.

I too have been partial to Michelins over the years, but as stated elsewhere on this post, and in the forum, there are a lot of very good tires for a lot less money, that meet the specs. I don't discount the overall quality of Michelin tires, but pricewise the are trading on their name a bit, IMHO.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Re: Replacement Tires -- H-rated the only choice? (myxc90)

Yes, load rating can be important. I assumed we were talking about SUV tires and not car tires.

My point was don't count on the name providing a good tire. I've had good and bad tires from most manufacturers. Check the feedback. It hasn't failed me yet.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Replacement Tires -- H-rated the only choice? (LTA)

Quote, originally posted by LTA »
A tire's load rating is pretty important, and if you think that is just marketing you are throwing the dice.

Agreed..........but the OP is talking about speed rating which doesn't mean much on an SUV.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Re: Replacement Tires -- H-rated the only choice? (LTA)

A speed rating also involves resistance to heat buildup, as higher speeds produce more heat. So having a tire with a higher speed rating would better resist that problem, important if you will be driving a lot of highway - even at moderate speeds - and considering how much our trucks weight, all that down pressure causes more heat.

Quote, originally posted by LTA »
The rest is marketing?

I believe he meant that as long as the tire meets the specs, the rest of it is marketing ie: you pay for higher margins when you buy a Michelin.

·
Registered
547 Posts

Check the feedback. It hasn't failed me yet.

I second this!

We recently put a set of General Altimax HPs on our XC90 because of its great feedback on tirerack. The only all-season for our XC90 within reason that received GOOD ratings for snow and ice. It was just icing on the cake that they cost less than $100 each.

We like them so much that I had my sister buy a set for her SUV, too.

I've now purchased a total of 5 sets from tirerack using feedback ratings and have been very happy each time. And not once was it a tire I had previous experience with or would have thought to purchase otherwise.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

Yes, load rating can be important. I assumed we were talking about SUV tires and not car tires.

My point was don't count on the name providing a good tire. I've had good and bad tires from most manufacturers. Check the feedback. It hasn't failed me yet.

I'm sorry to be a stickler on this point but load rating certainly IS important, period. There is a very good reason why the XC90 comes with 102 rated tires and we should be very careful not to mislead SS members into potentially compromsing their safety. As for V or H, that's probably something you have some control over and some latitude for choice but even so just to save a few bucks I won't take any chances with my family's safety.

As for brand, sure choose whatever turns your crank. I personally love my Michelins and just put on a new set of Pilot HX MXM4 on my XC90 http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Take into consideration my perspective and biases as an R owner... in the R forum this is a very sticky issue and some choose to gamble on the load rating and, the P2 R's Active Chassis is VERY tempermental about which tires it likes.

LTA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts