SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Nice work. But what's the advantage of making your own? Direct replacements are readily available from many sites for extremely cheap...
Are exact replacements available now? I checked VP, Scandcar and GCP and couldn't find them. I figure if they don't have the part it doesn't exist. The Volvo parts catalogue number for the clips is 680128 and about 6 - 7 years ago I ordered a pair. What I got were these:

https://classicvolvoparts.co.uk/parts.asp?carID=4&cID=69&scID=257&page=I_Trim_Clips._Sun_Visor_Etc.

They will work; but, as I recall the hole spacing was different and the base is significantly smaller so definitely not an exact fit. Mine looked not quite as bad as Mathue's. I ended up sanding the surface, using some filler and adhesion promoter and then painted with Colorbond with a very close match. They look good; but, I definitely don't clip and unclip the visors because I expect they are getting brittle and don't want to risk snapping the clip portion off.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
A little side project, made from black ABS.

View attachment 50023
That is a nice piece. It looks like they are 3D machined - do you have a CNC router or milling machine in your basement? Curious about the material color choice. The natural color of ABS is whitish which would be closer to the original beige.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Are exact replacements available now? I checked VP, Scandcar and GCP and couldn't find them. I figure if they don't have the part it doesn't exist. The Volvo parts catalogue number for the clips is 680128 and about 6 - 7 years ago I ordered a pair. What I got were these:

https://classicvolvoparts.co.uk/parts.asp?carID=4&cID=69&scID=257&page=I_Trim_Clips._Sun_Visor_Etc.

They will work; but, as I recall the hole spacing was different and the base is significantly smaller so definitely not an exact fit. Mine looked not quite as bad as Mathue's. I ended up sanding the surface, using some filler and adhesion promoter and then painted with Colorbond with a very close match. They look good; but, I definitely don't clip and unclip the visors because I expect they are getting brittle and don't want to risk snapping the clip portion off.
Yes, those are the ones I've seen mostly. They are not exact replacements (made for older 240s I think), but definitely serviceable. I replaced my 1800E clips with those and used them for 10 years. I definitely recommend them, even if the hole spacing is off by a couple millimeters. The material of construction is critical as they have to flexible enough to accept the visor yet not too brittle and risk breakage (especially considering temperature changes). You can be pretty confident the ones you can buy are made of the optimal materials.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is a nice piece. It looks like they are 3D machined - do you have a CNC router or milling machine in your basement? Curious about the material color choice. The natural color of ABS is whitish which would be closer to the original beige.
Thanks!

That was the color I had at hand :)

These were made largely by hand from 3/16" and ⅜" flat material shaped on a Rockwell finisher and bandsaw. Cemented with WeldOn/Scigrip #2354. Since I plan of dyeing my headliner these should end up the same charcoal color.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a project borne out of the desire to have clips that worked one afternoon, and I knew I could knock them out in less than an hour out of scraps I had around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts