SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought an 08 2.5T AWD and the struts and shocks are shot to hell. I need to replace them pretty quickly before the winter gets bad here in Colorado. I am planning to lower it as well. What do you guys recomend?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I used Koni FSD with H&R springs on my FWD. Happy with the way it rides and corners.
Blisteins are also pretty popular with this group but are a bit more than Koni yellows and a little more than FSD.
Sachs are the OEM replacement but not sure how they will ride after you lower the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I have just bought an 08 2.5T AWD and the struts and shocks are shot to hell. I need to replace them pretty quickly before the winter gets bad here in Colorado. I am planning to lower it as well. What do you guys recomend?
Do your research before lowering, our options are few for Springs.

I just last night installed eibach Springs (the only option, awd/R kit # 8434.14), 3.1 degrees negative rear camber and .31 degrees toe, these are double oem specs and will eat rear tires like a mother. Definitely not a mild drop, the rear us dumped.
These are correctable, but you're talking $400 more in parts from ipd.

Not trying to deter you on lowering, but a realistic bit of info for ya.
(I'll be pulling mine soon I think)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
As for shocks, if yours are bad, even oem will be a nice refresh on ride quality.

(forgot, there are a few coilover options if you want to go that route)

Real quick for reference, nothing different except springs.
Before :

And after:

Just trying to help with one aspect

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Yep. In my vehicles, I do prefer oem shocks and lowering Springs, since it's a daily driver (and this can be a legit proper setup).

In my old 01 fwd s60, I put in new oem shocks and lowering Springs, rode great for me.

This 09 awd isn't even to 55k miles yet, and had only seen 1 real winter, so all of my rubbers and such are in great shape still. I literally just swapped springs last night on my original shocks.

The catch is, some people have success with this exact same setup, really freakin weird

There is nothing I love more than a nicely lowered functional street car, so it saddens me that this isn't the solution. (and due to, many great life experiences, I'm not pouring tons of cash into the car, I'm ok with that, maybe in the future I'll look into custom rear springs)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just cant find any full set for an AWD.. am I crazy? I can find springs.. just no matching shocks and struts.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I was interested in lowering my s60 as well using lowering springs and oem struts and shocks. But it seems like that won't work so I think coilovers may be the alternative.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
I was interested in lowering my s60 as well using lowering springs and oem struts and shocks. But it seems like that won't work so I think coilovers may be the alternative.

it works fine , there is not problem at all !!! I use this setup (includes a little bit more changes in suspension) for more than 2 years and take a part in autocross + time-attack events - works fine. The full set of coilovers , like KW2, for sure will be better , but it's much more expensive , than just to change springs.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
it works fine , there is not problem at all !!! I use this setup (includes a little bit more changes in suspension) for more than 2 years and take a part in autocross + time-attack events - works fine. The full set of coilovers , like KW2, for sure will be better , but it's much more expensive , than just to change springs.
The coilovers I was looking at were from CX racing there going for like $700 which isn't a bad price. Eibach springs are around $300 just for the springs. What additional changes would I need to make stock struts and shocks work?

·
Registered
454 Posts
The coilovers I was looking at were from CX racing there going for like $700 which isn't a bad price. Eibach springs are around $300 just for the springs. What additional changes would I need to make stock struts and shocks work?

Unfortunately I don't believe in CX racing coilovers set ...BC has set of coilovers for S60 , but also they are worse than KW2

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How much extra, and what's parts are we talking about if I do go with Springs.. I want k&w coils but I just can not spent that kind of cash right now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
How much extra, and what's parts are we talking about if I do go with Springs.. I want k&w coils but I just can not spent that kind of cash right now.

After some extra reading on the forum here many agree that stock struts and shocks with lowered spring will work fine no problem without extra modification. You will definitely need a good alignment after it though. Many who have done this have also reported a rougher ride due to this combination but overall it works fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just heard that it will be so far out that it can not be aligned..

·
Registered
43 Posts
hi op, im currently running BC coilovers on mine 03 AWD.... the handling is much more firmer but still rides comfortable been running for about 7000 kms hold up great too..... the amount i lower the car is very reasonable as its still mine daily driver and im getting -2 camber at the back and spec for the rear camber is 0.48 to -1.2....

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I just heard that it will be so far out that it can not be aligned..

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?201642-Lowering-Springs-on-Stock-Struts
This thread should help she'd some more light on the subject

Edit I looked up adjustable read toe rods for the s60 awd IPD has them for $175 which should remedy the problem I believe and also a bolt kit from tire rack around $25 bucks to for adjustment as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, I have been looking off and on today, now I am worried that I may have the electronic adj suspension. How can I be sure I do not have this without disassembling the rear..?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Ok, I have been looking off and on today, now I am worried that I may have the electronic adj suspension. How can I be sure I do not have this without disassembling the rear..?

I believe all 2.5t have mechanical suspension it's only the R that had electronic I think maybe someone will chime in to correct me though

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts