SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

replacement lens for fog lights

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  R Kelly 
#1 ·
? replacement 'Lenses' for fog lights

Do they make replacement lenses for our 'R' foglights or do you have to replace the whole unit? Mine are getting sand blasted. I'm getting some protective film for them but I'd rather protect a nice new set than an old one.

Pete

Modified by pafox at 12:41 PM 4-7-2006

Modified by pafox at 5:01 PM 4-7-2006

#6 ·
Re: (JimLill)

Quote, originally posted by JimLill »
even toothpaste can work...............

True, toothpaste actually works to clean an awful lot of things.

I haven't checked my lenses but if they are plastic, you can use Novus Plastic Polish. There are different grades or "cuts" if you will.

If they are glass, I have always used Bon-Ami to polish my windshield ... you could give that a try.

If you are actually talking about the (black) bezels, did'nt "R" Kelly list some part numbers in his thread about modding them
?

#7 ·
Re: (Quick Brick)

Quote, originally posted by Quick Brick »

If they are glass, I have always used Bon-Ami to polish my windshield ... you could give that a try.
?

How much scratch / sandblast have you found the Bon-Ami to remove?.

My Nissan's windshield has seen 139k miles mostly highway. It looks like it was in a media blaster. I was going to get glass polish, but I'll try this one...thanks!

Bon-Ami is cheaper and if it doesn't work, I can still clean the tub with it!

#9 ·

Sorry, about the 'bezel' mix up..yes the glass/plastic(don't know yet) lense..not the black plastic bezels surrounding the fogs...actually got the Euro open louvre ones from R Kelly....thanks for the tips....

#10 ·
Re: (pafox)

Quote, originally posted by pafox »
actually got the Euro open louvre ones from R Kelly...

careful mentioning my name in a postive way, it may get your rating docked. Campaign by another forum moderator to trash me going on evidently.

regardless, are you talking about this kind of damage? Helmut, toothpaste may remove some of this crap?

I remembered someone was asking about clear bezels the other day and took this picture. I apologize if my posting pics offends anyone here.

#12 ·
Re: ("R" Kelly)

Quote, originally posted by "R" Kelly »
careful mentioning my name in a postive way, it may get your rating docked. Campaign by another forum moderator to trash me going on evidently.

I remembered someone was asking about clear bezels the other day and took this picture. I apologize if my posting pics offends anyone here.

Kelly:

I like your little photo albums. I think we all do. Without your pics, this place wouldn't be as bright and cheery.

Now stop being sarcastic and enjoy the weekend!

And don't post any pics from bringing your camera in the bathroom.

#13 ·
Re: ("R" Kelly)

Don't get it twisted
. toothpaste for cleaning, BonAmi for glass polishing.

needsdecaf, I have helped along some pretty terrible looking windshields with the stuf, just watch the paint, it WILL scratch,

"R"Kelly, you happen to have access to the best cleaner I have EVER used for stainless steel (I keep seeing your OEM exhaust tips in my nightmares
). It's some stuff in a tall pale green plastic bottle called "Stahl Fix". If you appreciate irony as much as I do, it is made by ... The Yankee Polish Company
. I got it when I was working in Germany and have never seen anything work nearly as effectively here. You will actually find it in housewares, not car care

#14 ·
Re: (Helmut Ranff)

Quote, originally posted by Helmut Ranff »
At the moment I have clear 3M plastic foglight material

I have that on order....

"R" Kelly..that is exactly what I am talking about except mine looks worse..

#15 ·
Re: (pafox)

Quote, originally posted by pafox »

"R" Kelly..that is exactly what I am talking about except mine looks worse..

Then what you need is something to "polish" and not just "clean". The glass in "R" Kellys picture is pitted and chipped. The BonAmi may be a slow process ... they do sell glass polishing kits and generally they incliude a small drill mountable buffer head and an amount of special compound. These kits are generally too small to use on a windshield, but may be perfect for you (provided you remove the black surrounds first):

http://www.jestcoproducts.com/....html

BTW, the "small" kit is the right size for your project.

#16 ·

"R"Kelly, you happen to have access to the best cleaner I have EVER used for stainless steel (I keep seeing your OEM exhaust tips in my nightmares
). It's some stuff in a tall pale green plastic bottle called "Stahl Fix". If you appreciate irony as much as I do, it is made by ... The Yankee Polish Company
. I got it when I was working in Germany and have never seen anything work nearly as effectively here. You will actually find it in housewares, not car care

You'll not find anything as fine as this for your exhaust tip maintenance. Whadaya think "R"Kelly? ... can you arrange a group buy

#17 ·

(I keep seeing your OEM exhaust tips in my nightmares
).

You mean these? (this is how they looked after 10 months and one winter).

You think Stahl Fix is up to the challenge?

I may put my car back to stock to ship it back to states.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.