SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
9,296 Posts
Re: Replacement key/remote - $cost? (LTA)

Quote, originally posted by LTA »
I'm pretty sure you need VIDA or VADIS connected to the car to tell the car to accept the key and/or remote (VADIS/VIDA are EXPENSIVE systems that usually only Volvo dealers have). Also, I beleive the system uses two-factor authentication: 1. The physical key needs to match the car's physical lock cylenders, and 2. The key and remote use RFID (radio frequency identification) to let the car check if that particular key/remote is authorized to operate the car.

On the flip side, it may be possible for the dealer with VIDA/VADIS to remove the lost key's RFID from your car

There are actually three keys in the XC90's fob:

- the key itself, a "laser-cut" symmetrically fabricated device
- the immobilizer, an RFID chip embedded in the fob
- the remote, the 5-button unlock/panic/lighting transmitter.

The physical key must be cut by the dealer on a special machine to match the cylinder in the steering column.

The immobilizer and remote must be programmed into the car's memory.

The old immobilizer and remote should be removed from the car's memory.

None of the above services are available on eBay.

BTW, the key isn't really two-factor authentication. Although it has two locking methods (the key and immobilizer), physical possession of the one fob gives you access. To be two-factor, you'd need a second, separate method of authenticating yourself, such as entering a PIN, swiping your fingerprint, etc. This is a bit more than security than most people want...

Tom.

· Premium Member
9,296 Posts
Re: Replacement key/remote - $cost? (LTA)

Quote, originally posted by LTA »
I would still stay it's two-factor but I should qualify that buy adding it's two factor to start the car, fator 1: Physical key, factor 2: RFID to authenticate with the imobilizer. Right?

Authentication factors are often described as "something you have (e.g. a key), something you know (e.g. a password), or something you are (e.g. a fingerprint)". Two-factor means using two of these. The Volvo fob basically uses two keys to start the car, i.e. two of the first - and therefore only a single factor.

The S40/V50 has gone to an RFID key only - the fob itself just has a black plastic nub at the end that goes into the lock. And the key provides exactly the same level of security. Same with keyless locks - it you physically have it, you can start the car.

Airport security is generally two-factor. You must present your identification, and it must have a picture that the checker verifies looks like you (something you have, and something you are). Many corporate VPNs use a one-time key generator along with requiring your password, these are another example (something you have, and something you know).

Tom.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.