SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I need to replace my column lock. The key is starting to stick and takes some force to turn after the halfway point.

I had looked into this a while back and thought that I had seen column locks that only came with a non-transponder key that turned the lock and that was it. Looking now, I find this Part 30753443 https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/61135/Ignition-Lock-Cylinder-w-Key-30753443/ It looks like it comes with three keys. I don't need three extra keys.

I called the parts guy at my local dealership and he was less than helpful.

Does anyone know if there is an option for column locks without keys or just that simple non-transponder key?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
The antenna for the transponder is in the lighting unit, which is separate from the ignition switch.

You do need a transponder key to start the car. You can tape a transponder key near the switch and start the car with a different key, if you want. Kind of defeats the security aspect, though.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is true. I have keys that will work. The column lock has nothing to do with the transponder and I'd rather not pay for three extra Volvo keys when all I need is the lock since the locks come keyed to work with your car based on the VIN.

The transponderless key that comes with some column locks just exists to make sure that the lock will work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts