SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - I need to replace my brake pads soon on my 2016 XC90. I'd like to get something that is low dust, as OEM pads seem to just puke all over the rims and I can never keep them clean. Obviously not looking to compromise performance either. Anyone have any personal experience they could share on aftermarket pads for the XC90? Thx!~

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I changed my OEM pads to StopTech to see if they were lower in brake dust. So far while they seem a bit better they are not a lot better. I changed over to a ceramic composition and it appears these are improvement over the StopTech. I just purchased EBC RedStuff for the rears (shipped from the UK). They are said to be really low dust. I plan on putting them on in the next week or so. If they work well then I will put them on the front as well. Considerably more expensive than OEM or StopTech or the ceramic. The rears were $84 delivered and the fronts sell for $160 or there about. Thus far no loss of braking power with any of the pads I have used. I have slotted rotors front and rear so they help clean the pads while braking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I changed my OEM pads to StopTech to see if they were lower in brake dust. So far while they seem a bit better they are not a lot better. I changed over to a ceramic composition and it appears these are improvement over the StopTech. I just purchased EBC RedStuff for the rears (shipped from the UK). They are said to be really low dust. I plan on putting them on in the next week or so. If they work well then I will put them on the front as well. Considerably more expensive than OEM or StopTech or the ceramic. The rears were $84 delivered and the fronts sell for $160 or there about. Thus far no loss of braking power with any of the pads I have used. I have slotted rotors front and rear so they help clean the pads while braking.
Thanks for the info. Any update on the EBC rears?

Not sure I want to fork out for the EBC pads unless I know they'll do the trick - they are pretty pricey. What brand ceramics did you go with?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Less dust = harder pad = not as good stopping performance/noise/possibly bad pedal feel.

I agree OEM pads suck for dust but with all the brake issues I have seen on Volvo's from aftermarket junk, I will never venture out of OEM.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
641 Posts
Less dust = harder pad = not as good stopping performance/noise/possibly bad pedal feel.

I agree OEM pads suck for dust but with all the brake issues I have seen on Volvo's from aftermarket junk, I will never venture out of OEM.
Sorry to disagree, but in the case of the Volvo XC90 both my 2016 and 2018 models had brake issues. Not until I went full Stoptech did my noise and vibration issues go away.

I do agree non-OEM can cause issues, but in this circumstance it was a way to solve the factory issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
879 Posts
Sorry to disagree, but in the case of the Volvo XC90 both my 2016 and 2018 models had brake issues. Not until I went full Stoptech did my noise and vibration issues go away.

I do agree non-OEM can cause issues, but in this circumstance it was a way to solve the factory issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have not seen very many SPA vehicles with aftermarket brakes BUT I have seen my fair share of p1/p2/p3 vehicles with aftermarket brakes and they were all horrendously loud, "stiff", lacked stopping power, and vibrated. I personally will stick with OEM. My SPA S60 RD stops on a dime and the brake dust power washes off very easily.

I have had customers come in within 100 miles of getting aftermarket brakes put on complaining about their brakes and the only fix was OEM. Not sure what pads/rotors they had installed as they could have been some cheap duralast crap but I dont like the gamble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts