SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first test drove the car a few weeks ago the dealership only had it for 1 day and hadn't had the chance to clean it out and it was FILLED with dog hair in every single little nook and cranny. And when the AC was on the smell was unbearable.

I ordered a new volvo cabin air filter on ebay for like $20. Just put it in last night and I'm pretty sure the previous owner had NEVER changed it.

http://m.imgur.com/a/NL1w5

Sorry I'm on my phone and don't know how to post pictures in threads yet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jum jum :/
Mine comes in tomorrow and I'm expecting the worst. The person that leased my car smoked and had dogs. I aired out the car for four days and had it professionaly detailed, but the AC still smells rancid so wish me luck...

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Have your dealer/mechanic clean out the HVAC duct with a product like airsept or something similar.

I purchased a used Maxima that was a smokers car. It took about two rounds of the duct cleaning before the smell was removed from the system.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Also, make sure your condensor drain hose is not clogged. That will give off a bad smell when you turn on the AC, and lasts about 10-15 seconds.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Consider spraying Lysol into the air intake with the AC system operating. Also spray into the filter opening after the filter is removed. You want the fan to circulate the Lysol through the air conditioning system as the smoke tar is everywhere. I have read an ozone treatment will remove the smoke smell. Check with auto detailer's if they have an ozone generating machine.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Consider spraying Lysol into the air intake with the AC system operating.
That works well on all sorts of odours, including moldy A/C funk. Just be prepared for a few minutes of extra funk after a heavy Lysol spray... it gets worse before it gets better.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Holy cow... I didn't even let the full image load, had to close it. Yuck!

Looking to do mine, just wondering when it's located. Behind the glove box like the XC90s?

Glad you got it replaced. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
When I first test drove the car a few weeks ago the dealership only had it for 1 day and hadn't had the chance to clean it out and it was FILLED with dog hair in every single little nook and cranny. And when the AC was on the smell was unbearable.

I ordered a new volvo cabin air filter on ebay for like $20. Just put it in last night and I'm pretty sure the previous owner had NEVER changed it.

http://m.imgur.com/a/NL1w5

Sorry I'm on my phone and don't know how to post pictures in threads yet.
Do you have a link to the eBay listing for the cabin air filter?

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts