SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my old mirror on our 2001 v70t5 with another one from a wrecking yard . I tested it after it was mounted and the lights would turn on and off fine. I buttoned it all up and it was still fine. I get in the car today and start it up and the lights will not go off on the upper console. The only way to get them to go off is to unplug the mirror. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Is there a solution to this?

tia,
Ron

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
im pretty sure youre not suppose to replace the whole mirror due to the module needing reprogramming..you will probably have issues with the remote entry too

if there was a problem with the previous mirror you want to replace the glass piece only and not the whole mirror

from what I remember it only involves a little bit of soldering... there is a guide on here somewhere

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh... Our mirror looked like a lava lamp. I will have to look into switching just the mirror part then. I was in a rush as we are driving to Denver in a couple of days.

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
you could also try unhooking the battery negative cable for a good half hour and see if that fixes the light problem

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I replaced mine following similar instructions. The only deviation I'd do is that fishing line cuts foam tape really well, just saw it back and forth between the glass and circuit board. That way you won't damage anything. I also have used one of those long razor knife blades that you snap the tip off when it goes dull, they're really long when brand new and if you stay close to the glass with it it'll shave the tape right off.

Also, any operations done on that mirror should be done with the battery disconnected. Since you've already pulled it, you might have to get something reset at a shop before things work right again.

One more thing: They did make a manual dimming mirror (with the flip lever) that swaps directly over in the same manner, I found one at a junkyard and snagged it so if my autodim dies again I'm going manual.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't care if the auto dim works and we don't use the key fob (I might go to a aftermarket alarm if I need a alarm at all) ... I just want the lights to go on and off when I push the button. Is this possible?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I doubt it. You can try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and see if it resets but you'll probably get an immobilizer error, or it'll just do the same thing.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I originally did the swap I did it with the battery disconnected and it was fine... The next day it wouldn't go off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2001 XC70 mirror swap...now lights and sunroof not working!?

My Volvo repair shop replaced by auto dim RVM with a manual flip up/down model. This is all good....only problem is that the upper console lights and sunroof no longer work. I think that what was swapped out was the entire button console/light assembly - took out old, installed new (salvage yard part I assume). What do I need to do to get lights and sunroof working again....??

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Lots of wiring up there to be monkeyed with (
open
wire(s) or inadvertent/bad grounds) and cause exactly your problem. And/or the '
button console/light assembly' could be faulty. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well....now I discover that in addition to no upper console/dome lights or sunroof I finds that both of my key fob remote controls no longer work. I fear this is all tied together - possibly related to the computer / pairing on the old RVM (that is now sadly in the trash heap somewhere)? So, if it were just the wiring I'd feel better....but not sure sure now? Any/all suggestions appreciated!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts