SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my headlight housings of my 06 V50 - which did wonders for the front looks and the clear lenses made my lights much better at night. I also ordered LED (low and high beams) as well as the Warning Canceller + Anti-Flicker modules to go with them. Company I ordered from is XenonPro. Anyhow, the high beams will not fit b/c of fitment issues (housing angle doesnt allow for the LED because of its height to go in). The low beam LED went in. They look good and work fine without flickering but the Bulb Failure Low Beam message is flashing constantly which is very annoying and I will not keep the LEDs in it if I cannot disable it. Is there a way to disable the warning? (FyI, the LEDs are not much brighter than the original halogens - the main improvement i saw was again due to the new clear lenses of the new headlight assemblies vs the old ugly, cloudy ones). I read you can disable the error message in S60s by removing and drilling a hole in a specific shunt in the CEM but I also read V50s/S40s are different and don't have these. Not sure if that's correct though. thanks for any advice/insights.

·
Registered
621 Posts
You can only disable the warning message by fitting resistors in parallel with the bulb. The resistors consume the power that the bulb does not, and fool the bulb warning circuit.

The resistors will get hot, they need to be mounted to bodywork to dissipate the heat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
i went through this when replacing the bulbs on my S40. i tried different one that i had purchased through amazon. so i was able to return the ones that didn't work. after about 3 or 4 resistors, i found one that actually worked. it was a simple plug & play.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i went through this when replacing the bulbs on my S40. i tried different one that i had purchased through amazon. so i was able to return the ones that didn't work. after about 3 or 4 resistors, i found one that actually worked. it was a simple plug & play.

Care to share which resistance or decoder worked for you? I'm having the same problem with my c30

·
Registered
107 Posts
How are the LED bulbs? I've always heard that they are disappointing when installed in housings and projectors that aren't designed for them.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I used the Hikari with their resistor attached to aluminum bar stock with spring paper clips holding it to the frame On the V50 I used to have. Worked great without error message. Right side bulb LED left side halogen

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used these for my 2007 Volvo C30 - H11 LED Headlight Bulb, CAR ROVER 100W High Power 20, 000LM Extremely Bright 6000K CSP Chips H8 H9 Conversion Kit Adjustable Beam (Pack of 2), Headlight Bulbs - Amazon Canada

Titled on amazon: H11 LED Headlight Bulb, CAR ROVER 100W High Power 20,000LM Extremely Bright 6000K CSP Chips H8 H9 Conversion Kit Adjustable Beam (Pack of 2)

Plug and play everything worked no errors. While you're in there give your lens a clean too, remove those 3 torque screws and wipe out the dust .. it's now super bright, ( not too bright though ie dangerous for other drivers). I was originally running Hid and the bulbs kept blowing. These are way better and brighter and more reliable.

Just sharing because it took me 2 other orders on amazon to figure it out. Hope this helps out future Volvo drivers

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you do purchase these make sure to adjust them so the LEDs sit at 9:00 and 3:00 in the fixture. There's a little hex set screw.

·
Registered
XC70 2.5T, V50T5 AWD M6
514 Posts
As an interesting tidbit a local, very respected technical magazine did a LED conversion bulb test and what makes it interesting they used P1 projector headlights as their test subject. To make a long story short, the best one was Philips X-TremeUltinon, which was "only" some 40% dimmer than a regular, good quality H7 halogen bulb in the same housing within the beam pattern. Glare and shape of the beam were described as appalling.

In high beams they were mostly neck and neck.

HID, in comparison, is approximately 150% brighter and the beam pattern is uniform, conforming to E specification.

The results of that test were so utterly discouraging that I've given up on LED conversion bulbs, at least for the time being. A complete, purpose-built LED module to replace the entire unit is a different story, as are better quality auxiliary LED lights, but as far as conversion bulbs are concerned, they're a square peg in a round hole unless the whole projector/lens/reflector combination has been re-designed for their emitter patterns.

YMMV.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Hi Partysmarty (mcFly??), are these low beams or high beams? And what do you mean by 9 and 3 o'clock? Thanks!
In the Hikari bulb that I bought, the bulb itself had two led emitters that are opposite sides of each other or 180 degrees apart. These are located in the same spot as the halogen filament. However, since these led emitters are not 360 degrees like halogen, they have or should be rotated in the headlight fixture so that the 2 led emitters end up where one being at 9:00 and the other being, 180 degrees out, will be at 3:00 position. This will best mimic that halogen filament and put out the best light pattern.

Hikari made it easy, just twist in the fixture to the correct position.

·
Registered
621 Posts
As an interesting tidbit a local, very respected technical magazine did a LED conversion bulb test and what makes it interesting they used P1 projector headlights as their test subject. To make a long story short, the best one was Philips X-TremeUltinon, which was "only" some 40% dimmer than a regular, good quality H7 halogen bulb in the same housing within the beam pattern. Glare and shape of the beam were described as appalling.

HID, in comparison, is approximately 150% brighter and the beam pattern is uniform, conforming to E specification.

The results of that test were so utterly discouraging that I've given up on LED conversion bulbs, at least for the time being. A complete, purpose-built LED module to replace the entire unit is a different story, as are better quality auxiliary LED lights, but as far as conversion bulbs are concerned, they're a square peg in a round hole unless the whole projector/lens/reflector combination has been re-designed for their emitter patterns.

YMMV.
The very poor beam pattern caused by LED bulbs in housings designed for halogen bulbs is exactly why DIY LED conversions are not permitted in many countries.

Here in Western Europe, the Police are not stupid and will actually pull you over, issue you a fine, and force you to put your vehicle through vehicle inspection, where you will fail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
XC70 2.5T, V50T5 AWD M6
514 Posts
Here in Western Europe, the Police are not stupid and will actually pull you over, issue you a fine, and force you to put your vehicle through vehicle inspection, where you will fail.
Exactly the same here in northern Europe as well. LED indicator bulbs and such may be overlooked in traffic stops but if the beam pattern of headlights is way off like it will be with LED conversion bulbs, you're likely to get busted in short order. Police keep a keen eye on excessive glare from oncoming traffic.

On top of that the amount of light on the road is crucial during wintertime when you get 6 hours or less of daylight. That's the main reason LED headlight bulbs are a marginal phenomenon around here except among the teenage "tuning" crowd; far less light on the road and the risk of having your license plates confiscated on the spot + hefty fines + the trouble and fees of having your car inspected afterwards.

HID conversion kits in reflector headlights are another way to get you in trouble. Unlike LED kits they're anything but dim, but the beam pattern is usually so far off that you'll get pulled over with similar results.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
And how was the improvement? Worth it? Low beams only? Error free?

Thanks!
First let me say I try to be very responsible with driving lights. I have been using the like likes of Cibie, Hella, and Bosch starting back in the 70s. Will not use main beam lighting bulb/system that blind oncoming traffic or do not have proper beam pattern. I cannot speak for many LED bulbs and only for the ones that I have had suscess with. I happen to have my vehicle registered in jurisdiction where they don’t give a flying pancake about lighting. Otherwise there wouldn’t be so many improper lighted vehicles driving about. I decided to try these Hikari bulbs because they put the LED lighting in the same location as the halogen filament. Not a LED array. This is how you get the same focus beam pattern. They did a great job of mimicking the halogen filament location. The light pattern matches the pattern as before putting more light on the road making night driving safer. Not one time have I ever been flashed for bright or blinding lights from on coming drivers. I believe anyone will find these bulbs work and well. I cannot speak to the laws and inspections in Europe but in North America (Canada/US) I have not had an issues With responsible lighting.

Improvement? Great!
Worth it? Absolutely!
Low beams are the only ones that I have done.
Error Free? Yes with the resistors for sure. I did not try them without the resistors. I put these in my V70 without resistors and these were error free.

I have no affiliation with Hikari. I tried these particular Hikari bulbs and I believe these are a great replacement for halogen bulbs. It cost me U$32 a bulb with the sale. I have bought them for 3 different vehicles and satisfied with them. If you are not happy with them you can send back as far as I know. Hope this helps. Glück.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Improvement? Great!
Worth it? Absolutely!
Great, can you provide a link for a 2005 V50 T5 w/halogen? Resistors are included?

My highs aren't that bad, but the lows are very yellow-ish and dim.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts

YMMV.
Out of curiosity - is this test published somewhere online, so I could look at it? Thanks.

·
Registered
XC70 2.5T, V50T5 AWD M6
514 Posts
Out of curiosity - is this test published somewhere online, so I could look at it? Thanks.

It's in finnish and behind a magazine subscription paywall so it might not be very useful as-is. It was published when I still considered a LED "upgrade" and ordered SKBOWE + bixenon retrofit kit instead shortly afterwards. Purpose-built LED retrofit modules might have been an acceptable alternative but as of now HID takes the cake by a good margin.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Great, can you provide a link for a 2005 V50 T5 w/halogen? Resistors are included?

My highs aren't that bad, but the lows are very yellow-ish and dim.

Thanks!
I got the Resistors off of Amazon and Hikari said at the time if I got a bulb out warning message they would reimburse me for them. So I just got the resistors anywho and put them in. I cannot make the link work but this is the title on Amazon. They have these type resistors on eBay also.

I cannot remember the bulb for the V50 since I do not have the 2007 anymore and the current V50 has HID bulbs which are not halogens. Hikari LED | Official Website of 2020 Hikari Conversion Kits is the link to get you to the Hikari website. You can just search for the bulbs there and if you click on a bulb it will most likely take you to Amazon. I bought the black box ones and they are the only ones that I can speak to. I do have the H11/H9 in my V70 now (2005) and I used no resistor and no error message. Just as happy with these as the ones on the V50 when I had it. Glück.

H8 H9 H11 50W 6Ohm Error Free LED Light Load Resistor Adapter Fix Flashing Flickering Blinking for Headlight Daytime Running Light Turn Signal Fog Lamp - 1 Year

·
Registered
2009 Volvo s40
2 Posts
How are the LED bulbs? I've always heard that they are disappointing when installed in housings and projectors that aren't designed for them.
I have actually purchased a set of LED bulbs for my volvo and they work great, the main thing is that in the projector housing there is a metal plate that doesn't allow a certain amount of light to get out. once I removed that metal plate they work amazing and are super bright!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts