SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would briefly share my experiences with replacing my ignition lock cylinder. You may have seen my plea for help a week or so back when I got stuck in the grocery store parking lot and had to pull the ignition switch and run the car with a screwdriver, a paperclip, and some duct tape. The lock cylinder had jammed at the "I" position (wheel was unlocked, jiggled the key in 6 degrees of freedom for prob 30 min), so I gerry-rigged the car for about a week so I could get to work.

The new lock cylinder came in from TASCA, so I installed it today. It was $204 shipped from TASCA and was keyed to my car via my VIN. The bolts that hold it to the steering column are shear bolts, meaning that the nut snaps off when you tighten them down the first time. This acts as a theft-deterrent. There are multiple methods of removal, one of which involved an angle drill to bore out the bolt. I chose to use a dremel and a cutting wheel (cheaper than an angle drill). I covered the dash in a damp towel, unplugged any electrical connectors that were in the way, and cut a deep groove in the shear bolt head. I was then able to easily back out the screws with a large screwdriver.

My one suggestion is to man up when you're cutting and make the grooves deep and square. I ended up not going deep enough the first time and stripped out my groove, which caused a lot of problems. The bolts aren't reusable so don't make your life miserable by not going deep enough. This was a cheap method and saved me about $200 in labor at Volvo. If you don't have a dremel, I suggest going to wal-mart and buying the Black & Decker version...it's variable speed, just as powerful, half the cost ($26) and takes standard bits. All in all I'm not happy I had to dish out $225, but WAY happier than I would have been if I had had to shell out $400-$500 if I had gone to the dealership. DIY FTW!

Modified by Evos_R at 10:09 PM 2-14-2010

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FV-QR

maybe paragraphs help?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.