SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am planing to replace the OEM OSRAM HID D3S bulbs with OSRAM D3S: Osram Xenarc 66340 CBI. I've ordered them today. Anybody did it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hi,
I am planing to replace the OEM OSRAM HID D3S bulbs with OSRAM D3S: Osram Xenarc 66340 CBI. I've ordered them today. Anybody did it?

I have 0 desire to change away from the OEM xenon bulbs which provide fantastic light. Any reason why you're going with a different bulb?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The OEM HID bulbs are OSRAM as well. The new OSRAM bulbs are high end OSRAM 5500K bulbs , the OEM I believe is only 4300K. Honestly I am not very impressed with current illumination, and for this high end car if you compare with Audi or Acura the colour resembles like a halogen bulb but better lumens . This is just my opinion, I am not impressed .

I am adding a picture of OEM bulbs today

I will give a try and let you know.

Any body knows which OSRAM model comes with the car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Are you asking what Osram bulb came with your XC60 or the Sienna you had?

I am always comparing my headlights to the cars around me, been doing this in previous cars too and thought my obsession/hobby? would change once I got a car with OEM xenon bulbs. It hasn't. That being said, I do notice there are times my 'bulb's don't seem as bright as others - mostly in lighted areas with street lights or in the city. I will notice some of the newer higher kelvin rated xenons / LEDS in cars around me seem whiter/bluer compared to mine. I can see these bulbs throwing white/bluer light on the ground right in front better in the city. So - I can somewhat agree with you here, in this scenario, that ours seem duller.

But when I am in the suburbs or rural areas, thats when our bulbs really have a huge difference. The higher kelvin bulbs or LED bulbs look just as white/blue on the ground in front of the car and their cutoff seems sharper, but - these bulbs don't have distance, since the color of the higher kelvin or LED's causes them to diffuse over distance. For that reason, there is no way i'd change our bulbs.

I've looked at CBI's and similar, and have read how the company states they are better compared to OEM - maybe if you are looking for the pure purpose of show, but not functionality.

For me, and from what i've read on other forums comparing the CBI's and similar, the difference was dismal/regretful. These were from people who had original bulbs closer to the 4,300 - 4,500k range. I can't see spending the money to get the bulbs with minimal difference, and still be obsessed with wanting the perfect bulb.

I should note, both comparisons I made are for cars driving same direction as me.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am asking for the Volvo OEM OSRAM bulbs.

Thank you for sharing this elaborate information.
You might be right and at this moment I have to be humble and just wait to see if there are differences in appearance and light efficiency ( city and rural areas).
Thank you

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm not sure what the OEM bulb is, if it is Osram or Phillips. I've used both Osram and Phillips' website auto-bulb finder, and they each list their own style number as the OEM bulb.

Looking forward to your updates after installing the new bulbs.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been told by a Volvo dealer that they are OSRAM, but I don't know the model. I will let you know.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I've replaced today the OEM D3S: Osram 66340 HBI with D3S: Osram Xenarc 66340 CBI.

I am posting few pictures with the new bulb. I can definitely see a difference between the OEM and the new ones. I probably wished to be more bluish but they are definitely white.
I haven't yet test them during the night. I've also understood that they are getting whiter as they are brake in !!!

Any comments?

Before with OEM D3S OSRAM 66340 HBI

After replacement with D3S: Osram Xenarc 66340 CBI.

[URL=http://s393.photobucket.com/user/Cisa_Cisulescu/media/New%20D3S%20Low%20Beam%20HID%20bulb/D3S%20Osram%20Xenarc%2066340%20CBI-1_zpsq3tatpra.jpg.html]

·
Registered
49 Posts
I see a slight difference, but its very hard to tell in the pictures and the angles. Have you had a chance to try them at night?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not yet, I will try them tonight

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took some pictures but they are not great. I will use my Nikon camera as soon as weather improves.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
HID Bulb replacement instructions ( if anybody needs it) :

To remove the light assembly you need to remove the two pins located above however , you do not have to disconnect the power hardness from the light assembly once is out (it is not necessary and , also it is not easy to unplug the power connector).

Once you extract the light assembly from front body you have to remove a plastic cover from the back of the light assembly , held by four screws .

Inside there is the D3S bulb. Carefully unplug power connector from the bulb and rotate a black plastic ring (located between bulb and light Assy housing) CCW about 45 degree - to release the bulb. Now the bulb can be removed from the housing.

Ensure you do not touch bulb with your hands (wear gloves) and the bulb doesn't make contact with light assembly housing when you insert new bulb in.

Good luck, it is really easy replacement.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
So how much were the new bulbs? Looks good.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I bought them from The Retrofit Source. With applicable discount they cost $190. They shipped them promptly.

The new bulbs to my opinion looks completely white. I probably wanted to be more bluish but there is definitely a difference from the OEM ones (HBI)
The pictures I took so far are not the best.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Dont forget that your bulbs oem/aftermarket are also limited by the lens and projector housing. The lens itself sometimes diffuses the light that makes it duller.
On my G35 i had reflector type OEM HID, but did a custom conversion to projectors. I went with non-fresnel lens and let me tell you thats where all the difference comes in. The light output and the beam cut off is far better then the beam scatter of my older reflector type set up as well as oem lens set up. The lens gives a much blue/white color and the cut off is really sharp and has a slight rainbow/purple line to it.
If you are looking to improve the lights, i say swap the lens out on the oem headlights and stick with stock bulbs. It will be more money but the light output will be improved.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought them from The Retrofit Source. With applicable discount they cost $190. They shipped them promptly.

The new bulbs to my opinion looks completely white. I probably wanted to be more bluish but there is definitely a difference from the OEM ones (HBI)
The pictures I took so far are not the best.

Looks great! Any difference in distance or beam spread? Do they seem to offer better clarity, are you able to see better compared to OEM bulbs?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Looks great! Any difference in distance or beam spread? Do they seem to offer better clarity, are you able to see better compared to OEM bulbs?
I actually don't notice any difference between his night time pictures and my OEM bulbs. I can definitely see the difference (oem being a bit more yellow tinged based on the angle of the first picture), but my OEM bulbs are nowhere near that yellow, they are a nice crisp white colour.

On a side note it really sucks that Ontario requires front and rear plates...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I actually don't notice any difference between his night time pictures and my OEM bulbs. I can definitely see the difference (oem being a bit more yellow tinged based on the angle of the first picture), but my OEM bulbs are nowhere near that yellow, they are a nice crisp white colour.

On a side note it really sucks that Ontario requires front and rear plates...
I should clarify, I don't see a difference / it's near impossible for pictures to do any justice on any headlight pictures i've ever seen. I think they do look good in the fact they don't look like they are junk bulbs and aren't worse than before. The yellow first picture does not look like mine at all either, way yellow. I'm assuming it was either the angle taken, or possibly the high beams were on and the halogen extra high beam is lighting up causing the yellow to come through more.

I am going to keep my OEM bulbs until they go bad, whenever that is, and then maybe I'll decide on different bulbs.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The OEM HBI bulbs are 4600K the new ones is the upgraded Osram, CBI Version at 5000K. Other than that everything remain the same.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts