SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 V70 XC with 70K miles. <p>The steering would bind and then release as you turned the wheel (while moving) and you could oversteer (until the inside of the wheel rubs against the tie rod). <br>Mechanic replaced the struts and upper strut mounts and added some sort of "magic additive" to the power steering fluid.<br>Now it no longer binds and releases, but it takes a lot of effort to turn, especially to the right, and the power steering pump makes a groaning noise when its hard to steer (and I'm not turning the wheel THAT far). I can still oversteer (although it's a lot harder to do so). Mechanic says that it turns very smoothly and easily when on the lift (no weight on wheels).<br>He wants to replace the rack and thinks that we should also do the power steering pump. Neither of these is cheap, as he hasn't found an aftermarket/rebuilt source for the parts.<p>My questions:<br>- Does the diagnosis sound reasonable ?<br>- Should we also replace the pump ? Is it near the end of its expected lifetime anyhow ? If we replace the rack, could a faulty pump ruin the new rack ?<br>- If it turns out to be the pump, how hard is it to replace ?<br>- Are there sources for rebuilt/aftermarket racks and/or power steering pumps for this car ?<p>Any advice or comments appreciated.<p>Rick<br>

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Re: Replace power steering pump and rack ? (rickxc70)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>rickxc70</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> added some sort of "magic additive" to the power steering fluid.<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Find another mechanic, anybody who uses an additive to solve a potential mechanical or hydraulic problem is an idiot. Given the potential bill on this one, I'd recommend a second opinion. Start with the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Replace power steering pump and rack ? (RearWheelPaul)

Paul --<p>Thanks for the advice.<p>I took it to the dealer - rack: shot; power steering pump: ok<p>Got the rack replaced, and it steers fine now....although my wallet feels pounds lighter.<p>Rick<br>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts