SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer inspection on my '04 S60 w/ 157k miles recommended I replace outer CV boots at a low cost of $1000:rolleyes:, but indy mechanics all recommend replacing the entire axle. Indy mechanics were all convinced that replacing the boot takes too much time and will cost as much in labor as buying a replacement axle would. Is this truly the case?

I've read forum posts by S60 owners who replaced their own CV boots and didn't understand why the indy mech shops were unwilling to do the same. I'm looking for recommendations:

- Replace outer CV boots or replace axle?

- Are there modestly reliable aftermarket axles? NAPA offers a rebuilt one w/ 4 year warranty for $75, is it worth a go?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Replaced CV boot at dealer in Dallas for around 500$ and then broke and axle pop out in two years . A indy replaced the whole axle for 200$ . He got the part new for around 85$ I don't remember the brand

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Replacing the CV Boot alone can be much more of a hassle than replacing the actual Axle itself. When you rebuild the axle you have to do both boots and see how bad the wear and tear inside is. It's usually easier and cheaper to just replace the axle and call it a day.

Only reason I say this is I've rebuilt my fair share of axles in my 4x4 days in my Pathfinder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts