SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for recommendations from the forum. My VR has 125,000 miles, so when I do any repairs I do some preventative work and replace parts which are accessible. That way I don't have to rip it all apart later. If I'm replacing the downpipe (races60r) should I go ahead and replace the oxygen sensors at the same time? Based on older threads there seem to be two camps; replace when it starts throwing codes and replace every 60,000 miles or so. What do you think?

Thanks,

GLM409

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had to replace mine after installing DP because it started to throw code, even after installing extension bung (no cat). I would not replace it if it did not throw a code though.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
The rear O2 sensor isn't as critical, its just a narrowband unit used to maintain oxidation balance in the cat, but if you have that many miles on the original front O2 sensor I recommend replacing it since it is near the end of its natural lifetime, plus its the critical wideband unit used to trim your fuel levels, so its one to be sure is in good shape.

I had to change my front O2 unit around 150K miles once it started getting flakey, but I'm still on my original rear unit at over 170K miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts