SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to reconnect a hose on top of the PCV box and managed to do it with removing only partially the intake manifold (banjo bolt still attached to the manifold)
Now I realized, to be able to replace the intake gasket I need to remove all the bolts attaching the manifold, including the one below the thermostat. But to fully remove this bolt, the thermostat must be removed first.
This means, draining the coolant, removing the accessory belt removing the alternator.
Would you just reuse the old intake manifold gasket in this situation? It was replaced one year ago.
I do have a new intake gasket but not a new thermostat gasket.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Did you already put it back together? If so does it leak? If not I wouldn't worry about it.

Really how do you partially remove the intake manifold, it's one piece. If you're crafty, with the right tools you can loosen tht manifold bolt at the thermostat enough to slide the manifold up then notch the new gasket at the bolt for install.

Agian if you're crafty you don't need to remove the intake to replace that hose or the whole PCV system, but it makes it a heck of a lot easier.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
You don't have to take the alternator off to get the thermostat off. The bottom bolt is kinda far back in there but a 1/4 torx and wobble extension make it fairly easy.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not yet put back together.
I will try the notch on the new gasket.
By partially out, I meant still attached to the PCV by the banjo bolt. 5 bolts for the mangold are out only the one below the thermoset is loosen but fully removed since the thermostat is in the way to remove it completely.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cut a notch in the new gasket and the manifold is back on with all six bolts torqued to 20nm. Thanks for the help. It saved me a lot of times and pain.

·
Registered
489 Posts
You don't have to remove the thermostat it's just a PITA lol, remember the vac port on inlet it's linked to the PVC for vac at idle. Otherwise you'll end pp replacing the PCV twice for no reason like me duh someone had retapped and blanked it, sounds much smoother at idle now fixed, also inlet bolts were finger loose so my logs looked better afterwards.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Yea you can actually get that bolt out by wiggling and wiggling while it's pressed up against the thermostat for anyone wondering. Just be careful when it's going back in not to strip the bolt.

·
Registered
489 Posts
re that pipe man assuming non volvo clips you can do it without removing the intake manifold, I did it few times lol

edit: watch out for the pcv banjo they become brittle and thus a hard to find vac leak.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yea you can actually get that bolt out by wiggling and wiggling while it's pressed up against the thermostat for anyone wondering. Just be careful when it's going back in not to strip the bolt.

spanner and grips came right out PITA spacewise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts