SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to replace the 12V electrical socket in the center console (near the gear-shift handle) with a self-wired dual USB charger? See image below.

I realize that you could simply insert a self-contained USB charger into the 12V electrical socket. These chargers, especially dual USB chargers, are usually large and protrude out from the socket so that the center console cover cannot be closed. Also, some of these chargers emit RF noise that can interfere with radio reception.

Pictured below (from Amazon) is a dual USB charger designed to be wired directly to the auto's 12V power. The face of this charger should be flush with the surface surrounding the electrical socket. Can the plastic and metal components of the existing 12V electrical socket be removed non-destructively? The aperture required to install this charger is 1.15", which should fit if the components of the existing electrical socket can be removed.

Amazon link to dual USB charger:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6S2SNM/?coliid=I3W1GUKFQZBO5T&colid=I8H44SAMFR28&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Access to the space under the center console is easy. There is a 10" x 22" access panel on the right side of the console. Removal of this panel exposes a quick-disconnect 2-pin connector to the electrical socket. The 12V power to the electrical socket is switched on when the ignition is on, off when ignition off. This should be suitable for charging mobile devices.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have a double quick charge USB and it is low profile and didn't interfere with the console closing at all. There are literally dozens of options on Amazon that for that description. You're going to save a few mm at best and it won't make any real difference.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yes, the inserts are only a few bucks and I've bought several over the years that are very low profile. You're making a mountain out of a molehill IMHO.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Thanks for sharing the idea.

I use an Anker low profile that supports dual charging up to 2.1A per USB (4.2A total) for both front and second row for passengers.

I am not aware of any negative RF interference - not to say that cheaper knockoffs do not have some.

It is best to make sure you have dual, simultaneous 2.1A ports. (One of the posters above had a link to a USB insert that only supported concurrent 1A which is only useful for the original iPods, AirPods and early versions of the Apple Watch early Droids, et al.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Namaste :bow:

After viewing numerous choices for small USB charger inserts, I agree that one of these would be a better choice than replacing the 12V power socket.

Thank you all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts