SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to Tampa, FL and need a good repair shop for my '87 740 GLE wagon. It's got 325k miles and still going strong and I'd like to keep it that way. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi. I have a few suggestions for you. I don't live in Tampa any more, but I know some people who still do! My dad ('78 240 DL, I believe) suggested "Swedish Cars" on E. Hillsborough.

My brother ('89 GL wagon, lived in Tampa '95 to '01) e-mailed me with two small-ish places, one of which he liked more than the other. It was "Swedish Motor Cars", which may or may not be the same as my Dad's suggestion. (Both are out of town at the moment...sorry.) He said this place was his favorite, and that it was out toward Brandon. His comments were that this one was "smaller", but he & my Dad obviously frequented the place on more than a few occasions! The other "possibly more professional" place he said you could try was Mike's Automotive, http://www.mikesautomotive.com/, on Thatcher. He said to beware, there are TWO Mike's auto, not the one on Hale. He said nothing wrong with either, but he got more confidence from the one with a web page, but you may pay a little more for that, also.

Lastly, for bigger-name places, he suggested Volvo Village on Dale Mabry, where you get top of the line (and rather expensive) repair. (These are all his comments, not mine, of course. I've got a new car, my first Volvo, so I'll probably be taking mine to the established places (dealerships, etc.) if/when I need repairs, but I'm not in Tampa, so I can't tell you anything about that area!)

P.S. I see you're a geologist. My brother is a hydrologist, worked at the USGS and did grad school at USF. Are you tied in to the survey or USF? No need to respond, of course. I was just curious, because sometimes it's a small world...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Lacking other input, I was going to go to Mike's auto. With regard to hydro, I'm in consulting and my USGS employ was in CT in the mid-70's. However, we have a couple of USF grads in our office, so they probably know your brother...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts