SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently downloaded what i thought was just the repair instructions off ebay: Volvo 2014 VIDA Vadis SERVICE REPAIR MANUAL + PARTS CATALOG + WIRING DIAGRAMS

I tried installing it on my Surface Pro 3 with windows 10 but gave up right away, i asked for instructions to install but the manual came back in broken English. Has anyone installed this software yet? i see alot of How To threads here but im not sure if there the same as the ebay one i got.

I also seen this add ->https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-VOLVO-VIDA-VADIS-Service-Shop-Repair-Manual-Parts-Catalog-Wiring-Diagrams/122849785117?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D609cb14b00d44217b41e707f5dc1fb50%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D251990065691%26itm%3D122849785117&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851 which is for a DVD rom of exactly what im looking for, has anyone installed this yet - is it any good?

·
Registered
694 Posts
I believe it requires that you have VIDA 2014D installed. That if I am correct is just an addon like the Electronic Wiring Diagram disc I have.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I recently downloaded what i thought was just the repair instructions off ebay: Volvo 2014 VIDA Vadis SERVICE REPAIR MANUAL + PARTS CATALOG + WIRING DIAGRAMS

I tried installing it on my Surface Pro 3 with windows 10 but gave up right away, i asked for instructions to install but the manual came back in broken English. Has anyone installed this software yet? i see alot of How To threads here but im not sure if there the same as the ebay one i got.

I also seen this add ->https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-VOLVO-VIDA-VADIS-Service-Shop-Repair-Manual-Parts-Catalog-Wiring-Diagrams/122849785117?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D609cb14b00d44217b41e707f5dc1fb50%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D251990065691%26itm%3D122849785117&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851 which is for a DVD rom of exactly what im looking for, has anyone installed this yet - is it any good?
Could you possibly post a screenshot of the unpacked directory? I would like to see if it matches anything on the VIDA disc that came with my DICE. It must have been an enormous download. I'm thinking about buying the eBay DVD you link to, since it's not a huge risk. I don't think that the VIDA installation has that detail of repair info, at least I haven't come across any color instructions.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm thinking about buying the eBay DVD you link to, since it's not a huge risk.
I just bought the DVD. I'll let the community know what it's all about. I'm hoping that it works as advertised, and also that roxanaschram is right on her guess, making it a seamless VIDA add-on. I would like the thing to work on the Win 10 desktop, too, though. Ok, so I'm greedy :D

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try snip a screen shot of the folder when i get home, thanks for taking the plunge into seeing what the CD-ROM is about - -looking forward to seeing what comes with it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well, the eBay Repair manual DVD arrived today.It's just a repackaged VIDA. The disc is labeled:
VIDA: 2014
EWD:2014
and has "Volvo" on it in the logo typeface. I have file structure screenshots and scanned instructions that were included, but the forum doesn't allow me to post images, just links to url's.
Instructions are to install the VMware player and then 7zip, and then unzip and install the "Volvo Virtual PC.7zip" file. That file has Windows XP Pro and many other files. The disc shows 92 GB used.
I'll try copy/paste:

Nope.
Maybe I'll install it and verify. Stay tuned....

·
Registered
694 Posts
Sadly all of that is available free under my thread...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sadly all of that is available free under my thread...
Yes, that is true. I downloaded your VM version and installed it on my Win10 laptop, and it's great. I'm installing this one now to see if there's anything different about it. It may be an older version, since it has WinXP in the mix. We'll see if there's anything to justify the thirteen bucks I threw at it:confused:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just an update on the "Repair Manual" I installed the disc as instructed, and it went well, except the VMware wouldn't run because of a problem with Intel virtualization support. I contacted the vendor, and he asked if virtualization was enabled in the BIOS, which I had already verified and reported to him. Hmmmm...Haven't heard back in a couple of days. Time to rattle his cage:rolleyes:
The copy on the eBay offer says it will run on all 64-bit Windows system, as does the included instructions.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for taking the time to reply, it’s a shame these thing being sold on eBay aren’t easier to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
I thought it would be interesting to see what the "Repair Manual" was all about, since the cool color pictures in the blurb aren't (Maybe) on my VIDA. Could be that I didn't land on the right page, but I may never know. The problem with the eBay product seems to be with VMware v14, from what I've seen by Googling. My processor is supposed to work with virtualization, but it won't run. Google results are to go back to v12, but I didn't sign on to reinvent the wheel. Roxannaschram has already done that quite well. If there's no easy fix, I'll pursue a return/refund, or, for $12.99 just hang on to it for my next computer, lend it out, or ???
The bottom line is the product as packaged will only work with newer processors, and then nor Intel Atom processors and some AMD's. Caveat emptor, Friends.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well, here's the last word on the eBay "Service Manual", https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-VOLVO-V....c100005.m1851.
I bought the thing, as mentioned, and received it quickly. I installed it on my desktop, following all instructions, and it went well, except the VMware 14 would not run on my processor, although I had enabled both Virtual Machine entries in the system BIOS. Turns out that it's an issue with VMware newer versions and can't be fixed. The solution would be to install an earlier version of VMware, like 12. I brought this to the attention of the vendor and he was responsive and as helpful as he could be; good eBay seller. Bear in mind the seller is not a Volvo Geek, but just sells car manuals for different makes. Anyway, I was getting nowhere with it so he offered to check inventory for .pdf manuals, which he then posted for download for me. I reviewed them, and they were not too useful. The primary manual was poorly scanned with the pages all skewed haphazardly, and the other files were for a number of sub-groups, so none of it was really searchable or indexed to be accessable, but the guy tried.
So, I was thinking about purging my VM VIDA 2014D (Thanks, Roxanna!), to get it ready to do the VIDA 2015 subscription, so I uninstalled that and then installed the eBay "Manual". After a BIOS fix for Virtual Technology, it was up and running. Sort of. The VMware worked well and the Windows XP desktop was customised with "VIDA Password: admin" on a blue background and two shortcuts. One for VIDA, and the other for VIDA Help. It took several tries to get the VIDA to open, getting the "error 404" screen a few times, but my VIDA 2014D did that on this machine, too. So, it opens and I see right away that its "VIDA 2014A". Definitely not the latest, as advertised.
So, bottom line is don't buy it. It's not a cool, different Service Manual, and it's not the latest VIDA, either.
I wrote back to the vendor and updated him on my findings, suggesting he might correct the copy in his ad about being the "latest" and works on any windows verbage. I did tell him that I wasn't looking for a refund, since I was assuming the risk going in. He responded nicely, thanking me for the update, and said he would be trying to get the latest version. Nice guy, but didn't offer a settlement, but I can just imagine the kinds of BS he goes through from scruples-challenged buyers getting the software, installing it, and then seeking a refund, bearing in mind he sells for all car makes. To me, it's not worth the trouble or expense of sending it back, anyway.
So, now we know!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts