SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My black 850 looks aweful when clean and in the sun. If anybody out there could tell me how much it may cost to repaint this car it would be great. I live in michigan for reference if anybody happens to know any paint/body shops that do good work.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
What's the problem? Scratches, chips, rough paint, dull paint? There are a lot of things I would try before spending several hundred or thousand on a paint job.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Why not have your car professionally detailed first. The most it would cost you is $250.00 then just keep up with hand waxing it every other month.

Here some of the boats I have done. Sorry I don't have any pictures of cars I have done.

Before

After

·
Registered
408 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by jesse850GLT:
Here some of the boats I have done. Sorry I don't have any pictures of cars I have done.
I think a gel coat is a little different than a clear coated car paint.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yes you are right gel coat is different to a extent then your base coat or base coat clear coat.
Gel coat is pigmented polyester resin which gels against the mold surface.
But if you look at what is in clear coat you will have poly,urethane,acrylic.....a type of resin.
When I buff a car or boat I take the same steps. #1 check for scrathes in the paint or gel coat(if it's a car clay bar it first). If I have to I will wetsand and compound .#2 Once the scrathes are compounded out I will pressure wash(pressure washing removes the grit) then use a cleaner/wax this will remove any of the compound scrathes. In steps one and two I use a makita buffer and a Porter cable orbital for step three .#3 I use a orbital buffer to keep from having any swirl marks in the paint or gel coat.

What I was trying to show with the pictures was that for the most of it,it does not matter how bad the paint or gel coat is it should buff out if you take it to the right Detailer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im by no means a professional detailer, however i have tried many things and have had the car professionally detailed. This doesnt solve the problem at all. When the car is in the sun the amount of swirls and scuffs are out of control. I have tried products that are supposed to 'cure' swirls and spider webs but no luck. I got hit in a parking lot last week and decided to just get it repainted when i get the body work done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
On a similar note - what do I do about shoe polish flecks all over my car? They're white, numerous, and very noticable on my red paint.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have never come across a boat or car that had shoe polish on it .You want something that will dissolve the shoe polish but not hurt the paint. I would try baby oil or WD-40. First put the car in a shaded area make sure that the surface is not hot. Then I want you to find a spot on the car and test the baby oil and WD-40(One drop from each sray WD-40 into lid and dab it on car don't spray directly onto car it will make a mess )Make sure that the test spot isn't noticeable. Leave on car for about 15 min then wipe off. If it did not hurt the paint then go ahead and test on shoe polish. Do only one spot first and if it worked then proceed onto others.Afer your done wash and then wax the car to make sure the oil is off the car.
GOOD LUCK AND THEY ME HOW IT WENT!!!!

Oh I forgot about bug remover try that to.

·
Registered
102 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by JOB:
My black 850 looks aweful when clean and in the sun. If anybody out there could tell me how much it may cost to repaint this car it would be great. I live in michigan for reference if anybody happens to know any paint/body shops that do good work.
Job

I have used two products from the same manufacturer, with some limited success. Meguiar's #9 Swirl remover and Meguiar's #5 Quick Polish. The Quick Polish seems more effective, but truly, it simply masks for a short time the swirls that still remain in the finish.

Neil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts