SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted in another thread but haven't gotten a response so sorry if you've already read but I am still needing a little help with this, check engine light just came on again today.

--Sorry for long story but giving you guys all the back ground! --->

Needing some help if anyone can answer, in Feb 13' I bought an 05' V70R, first one but I've been eyeing to get an R for a while. Guy before me did some tuning to it that I liked and had records of everything so I got bought it, I looked for a 6 speed but couldnt find anything for months. Few months after purchase, check engine light came on and it was the P0101 code, MAF sensor was giving problems so I took it to a Volvo shop that had previously always serviced the car in Portland and they ran diagnostics and said sensor needed to be replaced, I got it replaced along with air filter in May. Few weeks later light came on again with P0420 code, Catalytic converter was sending faulty code and I went to an exhaust shop and got a new hi-flow cat put in. Few weeks after that P0101 came back on and I took it to the same shop the first time when I got it replaced and they ran a smoke test and found there were actually cracks in my 3" down pipe and I got that replaced with a new custom one that was fabricated to sit in the engine compartment better and allow more air flow, also battery had low voltage (7 year old battery, probably time to change it out) so I got a new battery too. (Got very frustrated with amount of money ive had to dump into it but I figure at this point, this would be the last thing it needed)

Everything ran great and there were no problems and I was relieved, but then a month later, check engine light came on and it was the same damn code, P0101. I reset it and it didnt show up for another month and I was glad, but then it came back on, I reset it once more, and then it came back within a few days. I went to the shop where I had all the work done and the Volvo tuner there told me that it will continually trip bc I'm running close to 20psi of boost when stock is around 14psi and since more air is being forced, my MAF sensor will continually trip. I did not agree with his explanation and I demanded they replace my MAF sensor bc I still believed I thought that would be the root of the problem and they wouldnt. Now, every couple weeks the P0101 code comes back and I have just been constantly resetting it.

Thoughts on what to do? Should I just install a new MAF sensor myself? Anyone else have a reoccurring P0101 problem? Please help!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I HATE that code. It happens after you drive a bit more aggressively, doesn't it? And then it will go away after the car has been driven like it belongs to grandma.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
new o2 sensors were put in before i got the car, not 100% if theres spacers on rear, is there an easy way to check?

MTE/IPD Softloader Stage II software and hardware package
IPD 3" Downpipe
TME cat-back hi-flow exhaust
Denso iridium spark plugs
IPD HD ignition coils
Silicone intercooler hose
IPD cold air intake with K&N Filter
Silicone vacuum hoses
Silicone coolant hoses
Auxiliary transmission cooler (European kit)

few things car has, on top of that i got a fuel pressure sensor replaced 8k miles ago, and 5k ago throttle bottle has been cleaned bc of carbon deposits, new throttle body gasket was put in too.

driving doesnt affect it too much, if i baby it, code ups, if i drive aggressively, code comes. It has also gone away sometimes without me having to go to a shop and borrowing their machine to reset it.

I am thinking of just disassembling MAF sensor and using a MAF cleaner to clean it and install it back in.

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
new o2 sensors were put in before i got the car, not 100% if theres spacers on rear, is there an easy way to check?
I am thinking of just disassembling MAF sensor and using a MAF cleaner to clean it and install it back in.
yes clean it, and you might need to jack it up and look at the rear o2 after cat...also are you running stock air filter?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes clean it, and you might need to jack it up and look at the rear o2 after cat...also are you running stock air filter?
i got a new simota air filter when MAF sensor got replaced, could that stricken air flow too much to cause it to trip?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Put a stock air filter in. I bet it fixes it. I was having the same issues with my AEM dry flow filter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Put a stock air filter in. I bet it fixes it. I was having the same issues with my AEM dry flow filter.
had K&N before and it didnt cause problems, should i switch back to it? do you have a stock/ that what you recommend over anything else?

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
you should not be getting a code from a dry filter but you'll have many swear to use only volvo filter / set up ...i can tell you I am running apexi which is dry and get NO maf codes, but with a wet S&B filter I can get it occasionally...really try to clean the MAF first and see if you have a spacer on rear o2 sensor first ... and if that does not work try to put on the stock Volvo filter...also, you should clear all codes /reset the ecm each time you change something.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you should not be getting a code from a dry filter but you'll have many swear to use only volvo filter / set up ...i can tell you I am running apexi which is dry and get NO maf codes, but with a wet S&B filter I can get it occasionally...really try to clean the MAF first and see if you have a spacer on rear o2 sensor first ... and if that does not work try to put on the stock Volvo filter...also, you should clear all codes /reset the ecm each time you change something.
ill reset the code again at a store on my home from work tomorrow and ill reset ecm when i get home and see what happens for the rest of the week before i jack up car and check o2 spacer, as well as get another air filter. Ill also clean MAF before i get another air filter. I'll let you know how it goes!

thanks

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
You have the Air Management System (AMS) intake that IPD sold a few years ago (and which Elevate continues to sell). IPD discontinued this product for a good reason, which is that in some cases the AMS setup causes a re-occuring P0101 MAF code.

If you had done a search of this site you would have found that several people that have installed the AMS have wound up with a check engine light due to the P0101 code for low mass air flow.

Examples of other discussions about this topic:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?140016-Air-Management-System-(AMS)-causing-CEL

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?141518-AMS-question/page2&p=1662837

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?148126-05-V70R-getting-p0101-codes&p=1597704

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?149247-Stock-air-box-AMS-and-back-again&p=1647906

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...nning-elevate-AMS-am-i-getting-too-little-air

The ecu compares the mass air flow readings from the MAF sensor to a calculated mass air flow that it calculates based on the engine RPM and the boost pressure reading from the integrated boost pressure/intake air temperature sensor. If the difference between the "measured" mass air flow from the MAF sensor and the "calculated" mass air flow exceeds a threshold value, you will get a code for either mass air flow too high or mass air flow too low, depending on whether the measured value is lower or higher than the calculated value.

The best hypothesis that I've heard for why the AMS can cause the mass air flow too low code is that the sharp 90 degree bend between the air filter and the MAF sensor on the AMS causes enough turbulence in the incoming air stream to make the MAF sensor readings inaccurate (the MAF requires a uniform laminar flow of air to read accurately).

Some people manage to run the AMS without getting the code, while others have tried several things to avoid it and eventually gave up and reverted to the stock setup.

Best of luck,

Jeff

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I reset the ECU this weekend (took fuse 6, and 23 out, 'started' my car, doesn't start when fuses are out) put them back in and notice a difference in way it drives, shifts earlier now. Been a week and no Check engine light has come on! (Knock on wood) hope this did the trick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts