SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

removing winglets share your tips!

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  inteller 
#1 ·
I've taken a stab at this a few times with same results...winglets are still on lol. I need to get at least one of them off so I can take it and another to be repainted while I get the last one off (to be thrown away)

I assume you drill the rivets out...what sized bit? Also any of you jack ou the car and take the wheel off or can it be done sitting?

#3 ·
oh well the adhesive is the easy part, that has almost come completely off for the winglet I want off. i was wanting to know the right size bit to use that will get the rivit off without enlarging the hole on either the bumper or the winglet.

#4 ·
Um, larger drill bit? You only need to drill out the bottom rubber washer. It'll fall off and the top part will punch out the other side.

Secondly, if you want to take off the wheel, you need to jack it up. What am I missing here? Inteller, these are quite elementary questions... not your typical clever remarks.

#5 ·
Bottom rubber washer? On the rivet? I'm not seeing that. What I meant about jacking up the car is did anyone do that to make the job easier.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

#6 ·
best tip I can come up with is..............give them to me :D

#7 ·
If you can't figure out what size bit to use maybe you shouldn't be using power tools. The bit should be slightly larger than the barrel of the rivet.

#11 ·
the winglet I'm trying to get off was a replacement for a dealer F up (that's why it is coming off on its own), so that explains no rubber coating. But I guess you are referring to the outer part of the rivet nonetheless.

#12 ·
for those if you that removed your winglets....was there a big "blop" off rubber epoxy at the front corner underneath the winglet in about the middle? That stuff will NOT come off! I don't think it is that big of a deal since I'm putting the wignlets back on, but I can't clean it off to apply something similiar back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.