SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the course of waxing my car I got some wax on the plastic trim - around mirrors, rear bumper. What can I use to remove wax stains without causing permanent discoloration to plastic?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Most of the time it washes right off with the car wash cleaner you used. If that doesnt work, I have used trim restorer to get it off, but thats only if its been on the plastic a while.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was thinking of rubbing alcohol, but I'm concerned it could discolor plastic. If it did, I'm GUESSING some armor all would restore it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Was thinking of rubbing alcohol, but I'm concerned it could discolor plastic. If it did, I'm GUESSING some armor all would restore it?
Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) isn't a particularly strong solvent, so it shouldn't do anything to the plastic. But, just to be safe, I'd try a little bit on an inconspicuous area first...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Griot's Garage makes a special cleaner for this purpose. Or you can try Dawn dishwashing detergent and a soft brush on those areas (but it'll take off the wax where you want it to be if it gets on the painted surfaces).

If you want to avoid the problem in the future, get a product that won't leave those white/yellow stains on plastic, like Griot's Poly Wax. Far superior to regular wax, anyway...

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Rubbing alcohol and a nylon brush (or toothbrush) works wonders. Trim restorer only covers it up, it will come back if not removed.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Just got back from 2 weeks in Bonaire, so catching up...an old dry toothbrush works pretty good...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts