SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.there is a annoying clicking/clacking noise coming from behind the dash when the a/c is on especially on Idle
2. Horrible Squeaks
3.A/C blower moans at hight speeds
4.A/C intermittently stops blowing cold air.

so i'm basically looking for tips of what needs to be addressed while the dash is out. What parts do I need and the best place/price to source them.

This car has been great to us and it's time to give it back some much deserved love. TIA

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
A/C cycling on and off could be the compressor clutch, or it could be a slow leak somewhere in the system. I'd start with the clutch, as it is most commonly the cause for intermittent cold air. Checking the evaporator usually involves evacuating the A/C system of refrigerant, which you probably don't want to do at this juncture.

Try shimming the A/C clutch before taking the dash off. If the clutch is fine (gapped properly), you want to be able to diagnose a leak before you remove the evaporator from inside the vehicle and tie the car up for a few days.

You can open up the blower motor and regrease the bearings, blasting them clean first with any aerosol spray. (carb cleaner wouldn't hurt)

The squeaks are probably the dashboard mounts, they secure the dashboard to the firewall and almost always are cracked. You may need to reinforce the dashboard with metal bracketry or even fiberglass the mounts together to make them firm again.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the tips. Can the the blower motor be accessed w.o removing the dash? TIA

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, the blower moter can be removed w/out removing dash. Glovebox should be removed.
Burnout was spot-on about the dash noise, there are multiple was of fixing the cracked mounts. The dash will need to be removed to fix that.
As to A/C performance, first step is to recover freon and see where you stand. Added UV dye will help determine leakage, most shops will have the equipment to do that.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's the best material to shim the A/C clutch? I read about the "bread clip" fix. Thank you

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
What's the best material to shim the A/C clutch? I read about the "bread clip" fix. Thank you
Bread clips :)

If you need something thinner, really any type of hard plastic sheeting would work. That part of the clutch doesn't get scorchingly hot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts