SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the fabric coming loose from the passenger-side A pillar trim and I want to to "reglue" it. What's the best way to remove this trim and what's the best glue to use?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Originally from a member here, forget who...but:

https://youtu.be/3SrBK3ppcFE

Glue/recover if you want, but I ended up replacing with some used V70 plastic covers I bought from Erie Volvo.

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
Another vote here for just finding a set of plastic covers at the junkyard.

·
Registered
16,819 Posts
A third.
Super easy to do. I did it a few months after getting my VR a few months back and still have the fabric ones in a bag for future.
Another vote here for just finding a set of plastic covers at the junkyard.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally from a member here, forget who...but:

https://youtu.be/3SrBK3ppcFE

Glue/recover if you want, but I ended up replacing with some used V70 plastic covers I bought from Erie Volvo.
Thanks for all of the replies. Will the replacement pillar come with the fabric attached and clean?

·
Registered
265 Posts
No, they are just plastic, matching gray colored. No fabric at all.

·
Registered
590 Posts
From the Volvo dealer or an R parts car.
Maybe an upholstery shop could try to match.
I take it you don't want the plastic and would rather have fabric?? Because the plastic doesn't look any worse and won't deteriorate like the fabric

·
Registered
265 Posts
Right, the point is...matching color plastic...never worry about peeling fabric again....life is good.

·
Registered
16,819 Posts
+1. The color is so slightly different that NOBODY will know the difference.
Right, the point is...matching color plastic...never worry about peeling fabric again....life is good.

·
Registered
2004 S60R & 2006 XC90 2.5T Real Volvos have 5 cylinders!!
282 Posts
If you want the original fabric look, just buy new ones. They don't cost that much.

·
Registered
269 Posts
But plastic looks cheap and crappy. The A-pillar is literally the only part of the interior that you normally see when driving, it'd be nice to keep it nice looking.

·
Registered
265 Posts
But plastic looks cheap and crappy. The A-pillar is literally the only part of the interior that you normally see when driving, it'd be nice to keep it nice looking.
To each his own.
I actually think it looks cleaner and more refined and blends better with the dash, but that's my opinion :D

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
To each his own.
I actually think it looks cleaner and more refined and blends better with the dash, but that's my opinion :D
I Agree!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Perfect timing, I need to do this as well. Has any body just stripped off the fabric and painted to match? Is that even an option? At 60.00 a pop for new I might try this.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Perfect timing, I need to do this as well. Has any body just stripped off the fabric and painted to match? Is that even an option? At 60.00 a pop for new I might try this.
I stripped the fabric of a pillar once to make a pillar pod for someone. Sucked. Do. Not. Recommend!

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
So where do I find the part number for the plastic pillars?
Do you live near a pick and pull junkyard? Quickest and cheapest way to get them.

Otherwise you'd have to look up the parts locator on one of the online sellers like Tasca. Pick an older model S60/V70. I don't recall what year they changed over from plastic to fabric.

·
Registered
20 Posts
To each his own.
100% agree on this one, too! After installing a pair of clean plastic trims, I've wondered why Volvo even bothered with the fabric one. Fabric may look nice when new but it attracts dust and is harder to clean, hence looks dirty over time.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
The 01-03 vinyl/plastic ones cost over twice the fabric ones but they will outlast the life of the car.
Fabric ones are only about $65 brand new.
You can't just "glue" the fabric back, the glue will show thru the material.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts