SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Removing hood insulation

10364 Views 27 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  Warpedcow
I'm thinking of doing this, any drawbacks? What are the benefits of it anyway?
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Re: Removing hood insulation (carlosR)

Possibly damaging the paint, I haven't had any issues with it off. Benefit is your OTE pipe will now stay clean lol.. and heat will escape easier.

I'd leave the hood insulation intact, but remove the cowl weather-stripping in the warmer months (it comes right off, and stores easily for the summer, until you'r eready for the added seal in the winter time).

Is your goal reducing under-hood temps, or do you just not want the insulation on the hood for other reasons?
Ive ran it with no seal or insulation for over a year.

Nothing bad comes of it.

Aside from water going into the engine compartment a bit easier when you hose off the car.

Paint is fine.
No issues for me at all. Running blanketless, without weather stripping, and with a 1/4 rise to the rear of the hood for 2 years now.

The only issue is that the climate control airflow inside the cabin is reduced. The AC, defroster, and heater seem to not be as efficient without the weather stripping.
Re: (sh8kdwn)

Quote, originally posted by sh8kdwn »
No issues for me at all. Running blanketless, without weather stripping, and with a 1/4 rise to the rear of the hood for 2 years now.

The only issue is that the climate control airflow inside the cabin is reduced. The AC, defroster, and heater seem to not be as efficient without the weather stripping.

Ah i thought it was just me.

I ran it, like that for almost a year now - no problems with paint at all
Re: Removing hood insulation (boriman)

have had mine off since I got her (almost 1 year now)

no issues
Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

Quote, originally posted by chinaonnitrous1 »

Ah i thought it was just me.

Did the same for me as well. Until I cut two off two short strips of the weatherstripping and put them back on where the hvac intakes are. Its been successful in blockaing the HVAC from pulling in the heated air.
Re: (lawyR)

Quote, originally posted by lawyR »

Did the same for me as well. Until I cut two off two short strips of the weatherstripping and put them back on where the hvac intakes are. Its been successful in blockaing the HVAC from pulling in the heated air.

I owe you a
See less See more
Re: (lawyR)

Quote, originally posted by lawyR »

That's my "aha" moment for the day.
In 1 - 2 yr the paint should be fine, but in the long run like 5 - 7yrs the clear coat may fade.

Quote, originally posted by carlosR »
I'm thinking of doing this, any drawbacks? What are the benefits of it anyway?

If you are going to take the stock blanket off for reduced weight, I would recommend something a little more light weight to put in its place.
Like a Snuggie. Then if you ever break down you can pop the hood, put on the Snuggie and be toasty warm with your hands free to answer the phone or cram snacks in your mouth
See less See more
Re: Removing hood insulation (Oceans60R)

Quote, originally posted by Oceans60R »

If you are going to take the stock blanket off for reduced weight, I would recommend something a little more light weight to put in its place.
Like a Snuggie. Then if you ever break down you can pop the hood, put on the Snuggie and be toasty warm with your hands free to answer the phone or cram snacks in your mouth

Yes, because all that commerical needs is another lame use
See less See more
Re: Removing hood insulation (GiRaff3)

"Blankets are OK but they can slip and slide, plus your hands are trapped inside."
"The Snuggie™ keeps you totally warm and gives you the freedom to use your hands. Work the remote, use your laptop or do some reading in total warmth and comfort!"
"Snuggie™ is made with super soft, thick, luxurious fleece with roomy, oversized sleeves that let you do what you want while still being totally wrapped in warmth."
"Keep one under the hood of your car so when you arrive at your destination it will be warm and cozy, like it just came out of the drier"

Maybe we can get a group buy going. These things sound fantastic!!!
See less See more
Re: Removing hood insulation (Oceans60R)

My wife and I have been joking about buying one for my father for his upcoming b-day. Everytime the commerical comes on he curses them and complains about how stupid they are...

Sounds like he begging for one!
See less See more
Re: Removing hood insulation (GiRaff3)

Its better than the original Snuggie.....its SnuggieR.
See less See more
Next person who mentions that stupid thing or commercial, your angle gear is gonna break.
Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

Quote, originally posted by chinaonnitrous1 »
Next person who mentions that stupid thing or commercial, your angle gear is gonna break.

Thank you!
Re: Removing hood insulation (JoeLvo)

Quote, originally posted by JoeLvo »
I'd leave the hood insulation intact, but remove the cowl weather-stripping in the warmer months (it comes right off, and stores easily for the summer, until you'r eready for the added seal in the winter time).

Is your goal reducing under-hood temps, or do you just not want the insulation on the hood for other reasons?

I just cut a foot off each end of the stripping to help vent engine heat, then just keep the short strips in one of the compartment in the back of the car.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.