SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Removing Fuel From Tank

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  wanderdune 
#1 ·
Hi, I had posted this on the other forum.
What I am trying to find out is if there is any reason to believe that this method of fuel removal from the tank could damage the fuel pump in any way?

"I am writing this to share my experience in removing my old "covid" fuel from my backup XC90, 2004 2.5T which has been sitting a lot; also with an eye to using this method to get gas to run my generator in an emergency if I run out of propane. This is not a DIY, and I am not promoting this method, but just sharing my experience and method for removing fuel from the XC90.

I had tried the standard method of siphoning with no luck and also looked into the "GasTapper" method, using a stiffer 1/2" OD hose with a small flexible hose threaded through it. Unfortunately, this method also does not work on the XC90.

What worked for me was to purchase a Schrader Valve Extender Hose like for a dually tire to fit onto the Schrader Valve on the fuel rail, I think also there is a Schrader Valve by the fuel filter, but I did not try that location.
Anyway, I removed the valving from the male end of the extension and fitted a piece of fuel hose to the threaded end there with some RTV on the threads and a worm clamp to hold it.

Next, after bleeding the residual pressure from the Schrader Valve on the rail, I threaded the female end of the extender onto the rail Schrader valve.

Next, I used a fuel line clamp on the fuel hose drain line and clamped it closed in order to build starting pressure when the pump primes in Pos.2. Then checked for leaks.

Next, I started the XC90, then released the clamp from the fuel line drain and it began pumping fuel into my gas can. It flows at a decent rate at idle and doesn't seem to affect idle speed or engine smoothness, it ran as normal.

This method seems to work well, but I haven't ran it by VIDA yet, wondering if it will set a code for pressure. I'll look into that soon. There were a lot of options for the Schrader Valve Extender, keeping in mind that the angled, all metal ones could have an interference issue on my other XC, I opted for a rubber hose one, here."

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like you wanted to do this so your engine wouldn't ingest the old stale fuel, but this method requires the engine to ingest the old stale fuel?

#3 ·
No, I did this so that I wouldn't have to run out all of the old fuel from the tank before I refilled with real gas prior to my emissions inspection and anticipated low fuel use as I no longer commute. This way yes, I did run at idle for a couple of minutes, but that's it. Seemed better than driving more than a hundred miles or physically disturbing the pump and associated wiring. Feel me?
Also, as stated, I wanted to use this method to provide ancillary fuel for my generator if I go through my propane during an outage.

Any thoughts on my "question"?

#6 ·
I wonder if unplugging the fuel line at the filter and turn the key to pos 2 to "prime" the fuel? Never done this myself. Just a thought.

I don't think this would damage the pump unless you ran it bone dry for a period of time.
I like this idea too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.