SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just test-drove the XC90 yesterday. Great car, albeit pricey. It's our top pick as we are looking for a safe third row SUV. Already own an XC60 (with Polestar, love it) and this would be our second car.

Main issue with it is that it seems pretty cumbersome to get in and out of the third row when there are two car seats in the second row. I know this is an issue with all third-row SUVs that don't have captain's chairs in the 2nd row.

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the center seat so you create a walkway back to the third seat? Or do we put one car seat in the middle and one on the side, leaving a side 2nd row seat open as an easier way to get to the third?

Any help or advice is appreciated as we decide (deciding between this and the Highlander, Durango, Pilot, QX60).

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I've been posting about captains chairs for many months now.

Consensus seems to be that I'm a bad parent and can't control my 3 kids, otherwise wouldn't need them.

Rumor has it that upcoming MDX refresh will offer them, I'll believe it when I see it...

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Since the side seats can move on their own, I believe technically it should be possible to remove the middle seat. How hard it is I cannot tell but should not be that hard to access once the side seats are moved forward. Even though Volvo won't give formal instructions on this people will figure out quite soon once their cars are out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Not sure on the new 90's, but the old ones had separate bolts for the middle seat which made it removable. The only problem was that there was an SRS system in the seat so an error would show on the dash. People easily fished out the sensor inside the seat and reconnected it to the rest of the wiring, then tucked it out of the way. There's a thread on it in the old 90 section if you want more info or to give it a go yourself!

Sent from my igloo using a polar bear.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Why not fold the 2nd row center seat down flat so the kids can clammer through to the 3rd row.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why not fold the 2nd row center seat down flat so the kids can clammer through to the 3rd row.
Yeah, what carz said. Securing a child seat securely in both side second row seats means a pain in the arse to remove one when needing access to the third row (say for in-laws or other adults). They are forced to climb through the middle seat placed down, or you're forced to remove the child seat. Not ideal. Captain's chairs alleviates this mostly.

I may buy a Highlander for this very reason, however the thought of not transporting my kids in the safest SUV around makes me feel guilty. I have a 2.5 year old and a baby on the way, so this is very real for us.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I only have one child now, but hoping for another soon...for now, I will try to use one of the outer seats for one car seat, and the middle seat for the other for as long as I can. Then I guess I will have to deal with removing the car seat when using both outer seats for when we need the third row. My guess is we will only use the third row a handful of times when family is in town visiting. Safety is absolutely my #1 priority, over the pain of moving the car seats in and out. There is no choice to me other than the XC90. Safety > Convenience.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Is one of your children not old enough for the integrated booster in the middle seat, that's what we're planning on using for our 3.5 year old? If not, and you're still using an infant carrier, go with something like the keyfit 30 and use that in the middle. If they're both in larger seats, get a pair of Diono Rainiers, they'll have no issues fitting side by side and leaving one of the end seats open.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Not a good idea to have a 3.5 year old using a booster+seat belt. You should use a booster+harness:
https://us.britax.com/car-seats/combination-harness-2-booster/
She's already Group 2 sized and paired with the Volvo child seat cover there's little difference between the integrated booster and her Recaro Young Sport Hero in its Group 2 configuration. She'll continue to use the 5 point harness in her Diono Rainier since it allows its use longer before switching to booster mode, but we bought those specifically for the wagon so we could put two next to one another and leave one of the rear outboard seats open for Grandma.

·
Registered
83 Posts
One of the local dealers offered to remove the middle seat in the second row. Obviously it would be a permanent removal. I considered it because my dog likes to lie down in the middle of our Honda Odyssey where we have an open space since we do not have the console there. I hope in the future we can see a 2-2-3 seating arrangement from Volvo.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
One of the local dealers offered to remove the middle seat in the second row. Obviously it would be a permanent removal. I considered it because my dog likes to lie down in the middle of our Honda Odyssey where we have an open space since we do not have the console there. I hope in the future we can see a 2-2-3 seating arrangement from Volvo.
Permanent removal means it can never be put back again, even with right tools? Sounds like smashing the seat down. :)

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Yeah, what carz said. Securing a child seat securely in both side second row seats means a pain in the arse to remove one when needing access to the third row (say for in-laws or other adults). They are forced to climb through the middle seat placed down, or you're forced to remove the child seat. Not ideal. Captain's chairs alleviates this mostly.

I may buy a Highlander for this very reason, however the thought of not transporting my kids in the safest SUV around makes me feel guilty. I have a 2.5 year old and a baby on the way, so this is very real for us.
I thing you're over-engineering this issue.

I have at times two child seats installed in the outer 2nd row seats for my grandkids. When I need access to the 3rd row seats it takes me around 2 mins to remove one of the seats and about same amount of time to reinstall it, and only if needed, and then it simply is paced in the cargo area or left at home.

I would never place Grandma in the 3rd row seats, unless you have some form of dislike for her. ;) Grandma uses the 'best' seat in the car IMO. :partywave:

·
Registered
919 Posts
When I need access to the 3rd row seats it takes me around 2 mins to remove one of the seats and about same amount of time to reinstall it, and only if needed, and then it simply is paced in the cargo area or left at home.
Your car seats might not be properly installed then. The straps on my car seats are so tight that I have to disconnect it from the lower anchors (isofix) and then loosen the straps to be able to connect it again. After that, tighten the straps while putting pressure on the car seat, to make sure it doesn't move at all. Most people have the car seats installed way too loose, making it very easy to remove and re install, but it is not safe. I sweat and swear every time I have to move my car seats.

·
Banned
763 Posts
^ You don't need to have the seats so tight that they don't move at all; you just need to have 1" or less movement at the belt path. I agree with you that most parents don't install tightly enough, but you don't need to go so far as to have no movement whatsoever. With LATCH, it would probably take me only around 2-3 minutes to remove or install a seat if it were one I regularly had to move. A seat belt installation or an installation of an unfamiliar seat would take longer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will soon have a newborn and a toddler and we were planning to use a Diono Radian and an UppaBaby Mesa infant seat side by side to leave room on one of the sides to access the third row, at least when we have the prospect of grandparents or other guests visiting. The carseat blogs say the XC90 fits three across; any reason to think that you can't do the middle seat and one of the sides, so you can fold down the other side?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Center Seat

Has anyone made progress on removal of the center seat in a new XC90?

Want to upgrade to a SUV with 3 rows. The Tahoe looks like the obvious choice, but the XC90 looks much nicer. If I could remove the center seat in the XC90, it would be a great solution.

I have seen the press photo with the XC90 with captains chairs for a foreign market. There may be the possibility for a conversion with OEM parts.

Just looking to see if there is any new info here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I stopped by the dealership yesterday and the salesman said that center seat removal is possible. They had done it for a customer at delivery.

He did say that car seats were not meant for the third row. Not sure it is because of lack of latch, or another reason.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was also told by a dealer that the middle seat in the second row could be removed by the dealer. It would be permanent. I did not ask if there was a cost.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts