SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I’m asking for an opinion regarding work I need to do on my 99 c70. I need to replace or repair my PVC system, replace my power steering rack, replace a dive axel, as well as t-belt and cam/crank seals. My clutch also had a chatter.
I’m thinking it would make life easier if I pulled the engine and trans in order to make the work go faster, and easier.
What do you guys think?
Thanks
Warren

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Hi,
I’m asking for an opinion regarding work I need to do on my 99 c70. I need to replace or repair my PVC system, replace my power steering rack, replace a dive axel, as well as t-belt and cam/crank seals. My clutch also had a chatter.
I’m thinking it would make life easier if I pulled the engine and trans in order to make the work go faster, and easier.
What do you guys think?
Thanks
Warren
I've never done the job, but it sounds like you're on the right track with your thinking to me. There comes a time where the amount of cursing avoided by removing the engine is worth the time investment, especially with needing to unbolt all the bits anyhow.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Do you have a lift or is this going to be a car on jackstands - trying to fit/slide the subframe with engine/trans on it out from underneath?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
That's a lot of work to put into that car. If you have a lift, the rack and the clutch can be done at the same time. But dropping the motor wouldn't be a terrible idea.

·
Registered
16,671 Posts
Absolutely do an engine-out service. Whole subframe out the bottom. Split the engine wiring harness at the ECU box (this will make sense when you disassemble the ECU box) and you don't even need to dewire the engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not think to do that, great idea! I don’t have a lift, so I’m not sure how practical it is. That would be a good time to replay those bushings, too.
Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for confirming my idea!
I’ve started the project, so I’ll see how it goes.
Thanks again

·
Registered
16,671 Posts
I did not think to do that, great idea! I don’t have a lift, so I’m not sure how practical it is. That would be a good time to replay those bushings, too.
Thanks for the feedback!
Yep good time to add Delrin subframe bushings if you don't have the Aluminum ones that come on certain C70s.

I don't have a lift, either. I have a piano cart I set the car down on the subframe on then I get everything unbolted and pick up the whole car minus subframe/engine/trans/etc with an engine hoist.

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
Yep drop the subframe. Going to save so much time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts