SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking online at a lot of R's, only to notice that a lot of them have had the hood blanket removed.

This may be sort of an amateur question, but are there any benefits or disadvantages to the removal of the hood blanket? :confused:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Advantages: better turbo sound if the top of your airbox is taken off, better heat dissipation, if you remove the hood cowl(the weatherstripping above the firewall), the turbo sound will be even more awesome and heat will go out from your engine bay.

Disadvantages: more engine noise, if your engine catches fire the hood blanket would have suppressed it, during rain the windshield may become foggy due to engine heat escaping right onto the windshield.

·
Registered
3 Posts
advantages/disadvantages? i don't think so. think the clips just broke and they never put them back. at least that's what happened to mine. it's stored in my garage waiting for me to buy new clips from ipd or some where. i think without the hood blanket it will only fade your paint sooner since the blanket isn't there to absorb the heat. my .02

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
advantages/disadvantages? i don't think so. think the clips just broke and they never put them back. at least that's what happened to mine. it's stored in my garage waiting for me to buy new clips from ipd or some where. i think without the hood blanket it will only fade your paint sooner since the blanket isn't there to absorb the heat. my .02
I had mine off for 2.5 years and it never faded the paint at all. But then again, NH summers don't go much above 95 degrees. You being in Austin may be another story haha.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I took mine off and the engine is definitely more audible, especially the turbo. I haven't found there to be any problems as yet. When it gets seriously cold out maybe I'll put it back on for a while, but it seems like it would actually be advantageous during the summer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts